Have you experienced the culinary joy of preparing and savoring pressure-cooked steak? You can use whatever steak you like best, today we'll be using Sirloin Flap Steak.
It is an increasingly popular cut of beef that boasts a striking resemblance to the luxurious Japanese Waygu beef, with its gorgeous marbling and tender texture.
Utilizing the pressure cooker function on your Instant Pot, this recipe transforms Sirloin Flap into a mouthwatering masterpiece in a fraction of the time compared to traditional cooking methods.
If you own an Instant Pot, you’ve probably cooked a pot roast at some point. Yet, it still takes a long time to braise low and slow.
I can tell you that cooking Sirloin Flap in the Instant Pot under pressure is nothing short of amazing. The best part is that it only takes 25 minutes, plus the time it takes to pressurize the Instant Pot.
What Is Sirloin Steak?
Sirloin steak is a cut of beef taken from the cow's rear end, between the hip and the loin. It is a popular cut of meat for grilling and barbecuing, as it is relatively lean and full of flavor. The sirloin steak is also a good choice for those who are watching their fat intake, as it contains less fat than other cuts of beef.
How To Make Instant Pot Steak (Sirloin)
Important Reminder: Before placing the Sirloin Flap in the Instant Pot, ensure it is not ice cold right out of the refrigerator.
First, Season the Sirloin Flap. I like using Himalayan salt.
Himalayan salt has over 50 elements from the periodic table. A powerhouse of things your body needs and wants.
I suggest you convert to Himalayan salt. The second type of salt I like to use is sea salt. Then finally, Kocher salt (aka Chef Salt).
After salting the Sirloin Flap, our next step is to add some oil to the outside of the Sirloin Flap. This will help the dry rub stick.
If you would like access to my BBQ Dry Rub, you can get it on this YouTube video we offer.
The next step is adding oil to the Sirloin Flap steak to help the dry rub stick.
Add a generous amount of the dry rub or your favorite dry rub. Choose the one you like with Beef.
Place the roasting rack in the bottom of the instant pot—we do not want the liquid we are about to add to touch the sirloin flap while it cooks.
Add 1 ¼ cups of water—plus 3 tablespoons of soy sauce.
Place the sirloin flap into the Instant Pot.
Secure The Instant Pot Lid & Make Sure The Valve Is Set To Sealing ( Very Important )
Instant Pot Cooker Settings
Set the Instant Pot to the Pressure setting "Meat/Stew," Normal Pressure/Timer 25 Minutes.
Meanwhile, as the Instant Pot is cooking, we will make a homemade Teriyaki sauce. mmm
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipe:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sake
- ⅓ cup mirin (rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon grated shallot
The key to getting the right Teriyaki sauce consistency is cooking the sauce on the stovetop. As the sauce heats, it will start to thicken.
Take note of the pressure indicator. When the Instant Pot is fully pressurized and not safe to open, you'll notice the gauge pushed outward.
NOT SAFE TO OPEN
Safe to Open: The pin has dropped.
Next, remove the Sirloin Flap from the Instant Pot and paint on some of the Teriyaki sauce.
The meat must rest before slicing in order to prevent the liquids from dripping out and the meat from drying out. This guideline must be applied to all beef cuts. It typically takes 5 to 10 minutes for 1-2-pound cuts to rest properly.
Slice Against The Grain For Maximum Tenderness.
Watch How To Make
Posts To Visit
📖 Recipe Card
Instant Pot Steak: Teriyaki
- 1 to 2 pounds Sirloin Flap /source= Whole Foods
- 2 teaspoon Himalayan Salt /or Sea Salt / enough to cover meat
- 1 tablespoon BBQ Dry Rub / enough to cover meat
- 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 cup Soy Sauce
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Sake / Japanese Rice Wine
- ⅓ cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 teaspoon Shallot / fine minced
- 1 teaspoon Ginger / fine minced
- ⅓ cup Water
- First step: Take the meat out of the refrigerator and allow to come close to room temperature. 5 minutes. It's ok for the meat to have a slight chill when going into the Instant Pot.Salt the Sirloin Flap. Use enough to cover the entire piece of meat. I suggest using Himalayan SaltThen using a brush, paint on some oil like canola oil. This will help the seasoning stick. Add the bbq dry rub. Add enough to cover the entire piece of meat. Allowing the meat to sit awhile with the dry rub on will help flavor the meat more.
- Add 1 ¼ cups of water to the Instant Pot alongside 3+ tablespoons of soy sauce.
Instant Pot Cook Settings
- Using the pressure cooker setting "Meat/Stew", Under normal heat, & set timer for 20 to 25 minutes. 20 minutes for more medium rare
- The Instant Pot will pressurize fairly quickly and the timer will start to count down.
- Once the timer goes off, allow the vent valve to release the pressure. Quick release. You do not want to slow release or risk overcooking the meat. After the Instant Pot lid is off. ( Safe to open the lid once the metal pressure indicator fails back into the Instant Pot -
- Next paint of a nice coat of Teriyaki sauce. Do this quickly as the meat starts to rest a minimum of 5 minutes before slicing the Teriyaki sauce will soak into the meat adding great depth of flavor.
- KEY: After resting the meat, slice "against" the grain for maximum tenderness.