I sure hope this sounds good to you because it turned out amazing. Our Instant Pot Beef with Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe was an Instant Pot test recipe from the other evening.
I love cream of mushroom soup which was the inspiration behind this recipe. Last week we made a Mushroom Soup With Crab that turned out so very good it hung around in the back of my mind wanting more.
I live in Austin, Texas and we love our beef down here, plus it's cold outside which usually means soup or chili. I have an amazing Texas Chili Recipe you can try this season. You can make the chili in your instant pot; use the same settings in this Instant Pot Beef Stew recipe.
Types of Beef For A Pressure Cooker
- Chuck Beef Roast
- Brisket (see our post on Instant Pot Brisket - Texas Style)
- Tri-Tip Beef (see our post on Sous Vide Tri-Tip)
- Beef Shank
- Beef Tenderloin
How to Make Instant Pot Beef with Cream of Mushroom Soup
Step 1: Begin with the beef. I used chuck beef roast. Widely available and works excellent when cooked using an Instant Pot.
- Slice the beef into manageable sizes. Cut the beef into 1 to 2 inch cubes or strips.
- Season the beef with Cumin, Oregano, Ancho Chili Powder, Garlic powder, and Smoked Salt if you can find the ingredient.
If you cannot find smoked salt, I suggest using smoked chipotles in adobo sauce. Mainly you will want to use the adobo sauce, not so much the chipotles. Add 1 Tablespoon and marinate the beef for 15 minutes; overnight is perfectly ok.
Step 2: Add to the Instant Pot the cream of mushroom soup, plus the beef stock, and mix together.
Would you like to make the very best Instant Pot Beef Stew with Cream Of Mushroom Soup possible? Answer: make your own soup and stock.
Recipe: Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
Recipe: Homemade Beef Stock
Step 3: Add carrots, potatoes & onion to the instant pot. Chop the vegetables any way you enjoy. One tip would be not to cut the potatoes too small. The potatoes will not stand up to the pressure cooking if in small pieces.
Step 4: Add the seasoned beef to the Instant Pot
Stir the seasoned beef around in the cream of mushroom and beef stock to help flavor the base. Add a pinch of salt and 1 cup of water.
Secure the Instant Pot lid, making sure the plastic o-ring is inserted.
Pressure Cooker Settings For Beef Stew
Instant Pot Mode: Stew / Meat
Temperature: "Normal" see in the photo below where my finger is pointing? The three settings listed as "less," "Normal" and "More are temperature settings.
Timer: Set for 40 minutes
Once the timer goes off, wait 10 minutes then perform a quick release.
Instant Pot Quick Release
Quick release is the process of removing all the pressure from inside the Instant Pot within 2 to 10 minutes. It can take up to 10 minutes to release all of the pressure. The longer, quick release time is directly related to the amount of liquid inside the Instant Pot. More liquid, longer pressure release time.
Process: Make sure the Instant Pot isn't underneath kitchen cabinets. Once the pressure begins to release, steam will shoot out the exhaust valve.
Using a tool, like a knife, slide the sealing valve from "Sealing' to "Venting". You can open the Instant Pot lid once the pressure pin on the top of the lid drops back into the lid.
You now know how to perform an Instant Pot Quick Release safely.
Recipes To Try With Instant Pot Beef
The stew is good for 4 to 5 days. The flavor will intensify each day, which is nice, similar to the effect with pot roast.
Yes, the beef stew will be good for up to 3 months
Instant Pot Beef Selection
- 1 ¼ pound Beef Chuck Roast Cubed
Ingredient To Add To Instant Pot
- 2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 14.5 oz can Beef Stock
- 1 cup Water
- 1 medium Onion Julienne / long cuts
- 1 large Carrot Cut into coins
- 6 Yukon Gold Potatoes Peeled/cubed
Instant Pot Beef Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoons Ancho Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Smoked Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
- 2 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon Adobo Sauce
How to Make Instant Pot Beef
- Combine all the beef seasoning ingredients into a medium-sized bowlCut the chuck beef roast into 1 to 2 inch pieces, larger if you desire.Add the beef to the seasoning.Allow the beef to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Slice the onion and carrots how you enjoy them. The potatoes need to be cut into larger pieces due to the fact that pressure cooking can cause them to fall apart.Add cream of mushroom soup and the beef stock to the instant pot and mix together well. Then add the vegetables and stir. Add the seasoned beef and stir.
Instant Pot Settings
- Instant Pot Mode: Stew / MeatTemperature: "Normal" see in the photo below where my finger is pointing? The 3 settings listed as "less", "Normal" and "More are temperature settings.Timer: Set for 40 minutes
Instant Pot Natural Release
- Once the timer goes off allow the Instant Pot to natural release for 10 minutes. Then you can do a quick release. The cream of mushroom soup would just spray everywhere if you do not give it a few minutes to natural release. Natural release = doing nothing at all once the timer goes off
- If the chuck beef has already been cut and cubed from the grocery store and the pieces are small, reduce the cook time on the Instant pot from 40 minutes to 35 or 30 minutes depending on the size of the cubed beef.