Amazing Mexican Cornbread Recipe
The Mexican cornbread recipe of the century that’s sure to please all that dare eat such amazing goodness. The use of the secret ingredient takes this cornbread recipe over to flavortown. I don’t know about you, but to me, almost every piece of cornbread I’ve eaten in my life could be described as in some way, dry. Well, never again! No more dry cornbread.
The secret ingredient in our Mexican cornbread recipe is sweet creamed corn. Simply perfect addition to any cornbread recipe. The use of creamed corn reinforces the corn flavor like no other ingredient can, all the while adding a nice touch sweetness.
Secret Ingredient – Sweet Creamed Corn
Ok, the Mexican cornbread recipe secret ingredient revealed, check. What else makes our Mexican cornbread recipe better than good old fashion cornbread? Answer: everybody’s favorite, Cheese. The recipe calls for a blend of Mexican cheeses of Cotija, Monterey Jack, Mild Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla and Asadero cheeses. If you can find these no problem just use whichever cheese you enjoy.
But wait, there’s more 🙂 One other ingredient that really makes this recipe and takes it over the top. Answer: Chorizo. Spanish/Mexican pork sausage combine with ingredients like paprika, garlic & chiles. Often thought of as spicy, but it really is not.
Let’s Make Mexican Cornbread
I like using the store bought packages of cornbread from the grocery store. You can find them on your baking aisle. They cost around 50 cents each. The recipe calls for 24 oz or 4 packages. Here’s a link to the same product used in the video.
If you would like to work from scratch here’s a basic cornbread recipe
- 2 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
Mix together the sweet creamed corn (One Can / 14.75 oz) and 3 large lightly beaten eggs in a large bowl
Next added the Half & Half, If you cannot find Half & Half you can use either whole milk or heavy cream
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine well. Add the dry ingredients in 3 stages. Add a 1/3 of the dry ingredients and mix then the next 1/3 and so on till everything is mixed well.
Place a large cast iron in preheated 425 oven for a minimum of 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, pour a few tablespoon of cooking oil like canola oil and cover the cast iron (This will help create a great crust)
Add half of the cornbread batter and smooth it out making an even layer
Smooth out the layer and add sliced green onion, cheese and Chorizo
Cover with remaining batter and top with a layer of cheese
- 24 oz cornbread mix (4 store-bought packages)
- 3 Large Eggs
- 3 to 4 Tbsps of Chorizo
- 1 Cup of Half & Half
- 1 Cup of Mexican Cheese blend (or your favorite cheese)
- 1 Can / 14.75oz Sweet Creamed Corn
- 8 to 10 green onions (Sliced Thin)
- Mix together cream corn, eggs and Half & half in a large bowl. In 3 stages mix the dry cornbread mix into the wet ingredients. Be sure to combine well and to remove any lumps.
- Using a cast iron skillet, place into a preheated oven at 425 degrees for a minimum of 5 minutes.
- Once out of the oven add a few tablespoon of oil like canola oil and coat the skillet. Remove leftover oil and discard. Pour in half of the cornbread batter and smooth out making one level layer. Add sliced green onion all over the cornbread layer, then add chorizo and cover with cheese.
- Add remaining cornbread batter and cover. Pat down the cornbread to remove any air pockets. Add one last layer of cheese. This will give it a nice presentation once out of the oven.
- Bake in a preheated over 425 degrees for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick will come out of the cornbread clean.