Welcome to one of the most loved Mexican cornbread recipes of the century. Sure to please all that dare cook up such amazing deliciousness. The use of the secret ingredient takes our cornbread recipe over the top with a wow factor.
- Prep-Time: 5 minutes
- Cast-Iron Heat Up: 10 minutes
- Bake Time: 20 minutes
⬇️ Table of Contents
- Bacon Drippings
- Yellow Cornmeal
- All-Purpose Flour
- Whole Milk
- Baking Powder
- Kosher Salt
- Vegetable Oil
- Sweet Creamed Corn
Repackaged Cornbread Mix
- Cornbread Mix
- Bacon Grease
- Half & Half
- Sweet Creamed Corn
Special Select Ingredients
- Mexican Cheese Blend / Or your favorite cheese
- Green Onions
How To Make Mexican Cornbread
Sweet Corn Cream
Cream corn makes for the perfect addition to any cornbread recipe. The use of creamed corn reinforces the corn flavor like no other ingredient can while adding a nice touch of sweetness.
Use whichever brand you enjoy best.
🔔 Substitute To Cream Corn:
Add some fresh or canned corn into a food processor and give the corn kernels a few chops to create a smoother texture...
What Makes Mexican Cornbread Different Than Good old Fashion Cornbread?
Everybody's favorite blend of cheese. The recipe calls for a blend of Mexican cheeses of Cotija, Monterey Jack, Mild Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla, and Asadero cheeses. If you can not find these cheeses, no problem, just use whichever cheese you enjoy. A sharp cheddar would be very nice.
Do you love cheese? Check out our post on 45 Types Of Cheese | A-to-Z | Defined | Photos
But wait, there's more 🙂 One other ingredient that really takes this recipe over the top.
Chorizo is ↩️
A Spanish/Mexican pork sausage combine with ingredients like paprika, garlic & chiles. Often thought of being like spicy sausage. The flavors come through with deep richness. When used well, chorizo can elevate a recipe.
ou can make the cornbread from our homemade recipe below or,
I also like using store-bought packages of cornbread mix from the grocery store. You can find them on the baking aisle. They cost around 50 cents each. The recipe calls for 24 oz or 4 packages. Here's a link to the same product used in the video.
HEB Grocery: https://www.heb.com/product-detail/hill-country-fare-honey-sweet-corn-bread-mix/125702
If you would like to make it from scratch, here's a cornbread recipe.
🥘 Scratch Cornbread
Recipe card at the bottom of the post
Bake at 400 for 20 minutes
- Bacon Grease - 1 Tablespoon
- Cornmeal - 2 cups
- All-Purpose Flour - 1 cup
- Sugar - 1 Tablespoon
- Baking Powder - 1 Tablespoon
- Sea Salt - 1 ½ teaspoon
- Eggs - 3 large
- Butter - ½ stick
- Milk - 1 ⅓ cups
- Sweet Creamed Corn -1 can
Scratch process, First mix the wet ingredient together, then add the dry to the wet.
Preheat a cast-iron skillet in the oven for 10 minutes. Then add oil, like canola oil, and cover the entire cast-iron skillet with the oil. Pour excess oil out and discard.
The oil will provide an excellent texture to the cornbread edges.
My Grandma's Cornbread Recipe
Southern Cornbread by Clara Deane Qualls
(Recipe is for a smaller cast-iron skillet.
Mix sweet creamed corn (One Can /14.75 oz) along with 3 large lightly beaten eggs in a large bowl.
Next, add 1 ⅓ cups of half & half milk.
If you cannot find half & half milk, you can use either whole milk or heavy cream.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine well.
4 packages of prepared cornbread mix
Add the dry ingredients in 3 stages. Add a ⅓ of the dry ingredients and mix then the next ⅓ and so on till everything is mixed well.
Place a large cast iron in a preheated 425-degree oven for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, pour a few tablespoons of cooking oil like canola oil and cover the cast-iron surface completely (This will create a great cornbread crust everyone loves).
Add half of the cornbread batter to the skillet, then smooth the batter out, making an even layer. I like using a spatula to pat the batter into the corners.
Once the first layer is smooth, add sliced green onion, the Mexican cheese blend, and Chorizo. Look below at the Chorizo and the spacing below. Be sure to spread it out evenly.
Now take the remaining cornbread batter and pour it over the top of the green onion, 1st cheese layer, and chorizo. Pat smooth with a spatula.
Add a final presentation layer of cheese right on top. I like using a good amount.
Watch How To Make
Can I use White Cornmeal Instead Of Yellow Cornmeal?
Yes, yet the flavor will be, let's say, "Less corn flavor-forward"
How Long Will It Last In Storage?
Store in an air-tight container. The texture will be ok for up to 3 days.
What Other Substitute Ingredient Could I Use?
- Green Hatch Chilies
- Chipotles in Adobo
Article on Chipotles here
Recipe for Adobo Sauce Here
📖 Recipes To Try
📖 Recipe Card
Mexican Cornbread Recipe
Cornbread From Scratch
- 1 tablespoon Bacon Drippings
- 2 cups Yellow Cornmeal
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3 large Eggs
- ½ stick Butter / melted
- 1 ⅓ cups Whole Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- ½ can Sweet Creamed Corn / add more if you think your consistency needs it
PrePackage Cornbread Recipe
- 24 oz Cornbread Mix / 4 Store-bought packages
- 1 Tablespoon Bacon Grease / room temperature
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 ⅓ cup Half & Half
- 1 can Sweet Creamed Corn / 14.75oz size
Special Select Ingredients
- 1 cup Mexican Cheese Blend / Or your favorite cheese
- 4 Tablespoons Chorizo
- 4 Green Onions / Sliced Thin
The Mixing Order
- Mix together the cream corn, eggs, and half & half in a large bowl. Do it in 3 stages, mix in the dry cornbread mix/ingredients with the wet ingredients. Be sure to combine well and to remove any lumps.
- Using a cast-iron skillet, place a skillet into a preheated oven at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Once out of the oven add a few tablespoons of oil like canola oil and coat the skillet. Remove leftover oil and discard. Pour in half of the cornbread batter and smooth out making one level layer. Add sliced green onion all over the cornbread layer, then add chorizo and cover with the Mexican cheese blend.Make sure the chorizo is spread out evenly, like special pockets of deliciousness. Don't overdo it.
- Add remaining cornbread batter and cover. Pat down the cornbread to remove any air pockets with a spatula. Add one last layer of cheese. This will give a nice presentation layer once out of the oven.
- Bake at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick will come out of the cornbread cleanly.
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease or butter
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can sweet cream corn
- 1 cup milk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
Leave a Reply