Real Texas Queso Recipe
Down here in Texas, we love a few things very much, BBQ, peppers, spice and cheese. Anyone not love cheese? Makes me think of cheese commercials on TV. ” Be Hold The Power Of Cheese“. Most people think of homemade Queso as Velveeta mixed with Rotel, which is canned peppers. Which isn’t all too bad, besides all the junk added to velveeta. Commercial cheese at the store only has to be 51% real cheese to be sold as “Cheese”.
I made a short video showing the technique & timing for making high-quality Texas Queso. Your timing atter very much. Add this at this point, then add this, etc etc. I would suggest looking at the video. Have you ever used a hand grater to shave onions? It is a dynamite technique to add onion to recipes without large chunks. The onion almost melts into whatever your making leaving behind the true flavor without much of the onion texture. In a smooth creamy cheese sauce like Texas Queso, this is a perfect technique to help create a smooth Queso.
Did you know people who are lactose intolerant are the normal? Humans are the only mammals on earth that naturally drinks milk after being a baby.
Real TEXAS Queso Recipe - Made With The Instant Pot
Prepare the Texas Sweet onion by using a handheld cheese grater and shave into the instant pot. Use whatever onion you like and is easy to purchase.
Add minced garlic and cubed butter to the instant pot and melt
Using the cheese grater, shave fresh jalapeno into the instant pot.
Add one 8 oz package of cream cheese to the instant pot and melt and combine very well.
Add quarter cup of all-purpose to the melted cream cheese. This is a key process. Make sure you keep stirring and cook out the raw flour.
Cooking out the raw flour. You’ll notice everything starts to tighten up. Have your whole milk ready standing by.
Add in 2 cups of all-purpose flour, adding it a little at a time until incorporated. Have an additional 2 cup of whole milk ready to add.
Mix/stir, quickly and work out any possible lumps at this point. You can start adding in the additional 2 cups or more of whole milk. If you would like your Texas Queso a certainly thickness or viscosity add more or less. You’ll need at least the 4 cups.
Adding Seasoning and Spices
- 1 1/2 teaspoon High-Quality Chili Powder
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons Granulated Onion Powder
- Add 1 teaspoon of Dried Oregano
- Canned Green Chiles – Mild
- Add Pimentos
- One full bag of shredded cheese – 4 Cups
- Add shredded “Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Add 4 teaspoons for more of Chipotles in Adobo Sauce
MMM… Use the Instant Pot “Keep Warm” setting to keep your Texas Queso warm for your guests.
Real Texas Queso Recipe
- Instant Pot /or Medium-Large Pot
- Chef Knife
- Can Opener
- Hand Vegetable Grater
Base / Roux
- 4 T Butter
- 1/2 large Texas Sweet Onion / use any onion you can find at your grocery store
- 2 T Minced Garlic
- 3 T All-Purpose Flour
- 4 cups Whole Milk
- 1/2 Jalapeno
- 5 ounces Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese Grated
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese
- 16 ounces Mexican Blend Bag of Cheese
Spices & Herbs & Peppers
- 5 T Canned Green Chiles
- 4 T Canned Pimentos
- 1 T Smokey Chili Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 tsp Granulated Garlic
- 1 T Kocher Salt
Main Special Ingredient
- 4 tsp Adobo Sauce / canned chipotles - use the adobo sauce and add the smoked chipotles for extra heat/spiciness
Making The Base / Roux
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE on high heat and add the butter.
- While the butter is melting add the onion. Use a hand grater and shave half of an onion and jalapeno pepper into the Instant Pot along with the garlic.
- Next, add in the cream cheese and melt well.
- After the cream cheese has melted add in the all-purpose flour and cook off the flour. Have the whole milk on hand and be ready to start pouring once the roux begins to tighten up. Add in half the milk slowly and keep stirring the entire time. Room temperature milk combines better, smoother texture.
- The milk is your insurance to controlling the thickness. Have extra milk ready to pour if needed. Around 4 cups will do the job. As the Texas Queso sits once completed it will thicken. So make the Queso a little bit thinner then you will want the finished product.
- Next, add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt. Incorporate/cook
- Finishing: Add the green chiles, pimentos & adobo sauce(You can add more of any each ingredient to your liking. Adding more adobe sauce will make the queso a darker color and will have a more overall smokey flavor.)(When shopping for the green chiles, they come in different heat levels. I used mild.For an extra kick of spice add in 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- Dried Guajillo Pepper- Pan roast the peppers first and then puree in a food processor to combine well.
- Serrano Peppers
- Roasted poblano peppers