How-To Make Southern Pimento Cheese
The Master’s golf tournament in Augusta Georiga, held early April each year is regarded as “The” golf tournament all the pros really want to win. The Masters is one tough cookie to attend, I have been fortunate to go and eat an Iconic Master’s Pimento cheese sandwich before due to my Uncle John having tickets each year. Thanks, Uncle Dick.
I’ll tell you one of the most rememberable things while on the golf course is eating a Master’s Pimento Cheese Sandwich at a whopping $1.50 apiece.
Pimento Cheese, In the southern part of America, is a staple in most family households. The question is, have you ever tasted fresh homemade Pimento cheese?
What Are Pimentos?
Pimentos are Peppers.
Actually, this topic is still open for discussion. Assortments like cherry peppers, red bell peppers, , all kinds.
You can make your own pimento by roasting your favorite peppers.
You could fire-roast them as well. If you do, once you take them off the fire, place the peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to steam. You could also place them in a paper bag. The peel will come off easier that way. From there, just mince the pepper and use it in place of canned pimentos.
Ingredient List For
The Legendary Master’s Pimento Cheese Sandwich
1 Pullman Loaf of Bread, sliced
1 Cup of Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
¾th a Cup of Cottage Cheese – Make Sure You Use Small Curd
4 tablespoon of Mayonnaise
10 Chives – Chopped
The Key Ingredient
– 2 teaspoon of Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce-
Tip: The Chipotle’s will not make the pimento cheese recipe hot/spicy. It offers a nice smokey undertone flavor with a small amount of fresh spice…. Really good.
Masters Pimento Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese; shredded
- 1 Cup Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese; shredded
- ¾ cup of Cottage Cheese
- 8 oz package Cream Cheese
- 4 tablespoon Pimentos
- 2 teaspoon of Chipotles in Adobo Sauce chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 10 Chives sliced thin
- 4 tablespoon Mayonaise
- Start by hand grating the sharp cheddar & the Extra sharp cheddar cheese. The grating of the cheese is so important for the texture. Use a box grater and grate on the side with the large grooves.
- In another bowl, mix the cottage cheese, room temperature cream cheese, chives, chopped chipotles, black pepper, mayonnaise & sea salt.
- Then mix the grated cheese with the other ingredients. Combine, being careful to preserve the grate cheese texture.
- Once combine nicely add in the pimentos lastly. The reason to wait until the last step to add the pimentos is to protect their shape and texture.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerator 12 to 36 hours for flavor development.