The Master's golf tournament in Augusta, Georgia, is a highly prestigious event that all the top professional golfers aspire to win. As daunting as it may be to attend, I've been lucky enough to attend – and let me tell you, the iconic Master's Pimento Cheese sandwich is a must-eat while there!
One of the most rememberable things while on the golf course is eating a Master’s Pimento Cheese Sandwich at a whopping $1.50 apiece.
⬇️ Table of Contents
Pimento Cheese in the southern part of America is a staple ingredient in most family households. The question is, have you ever tasted fresh homemade Pimento cheese?
The Legendary Master’s Pimento Cheese Recipe
First, a little bit about the star ingredient, the Pimentos.
What Are Pimentos?
Pimentos are a type of pepper that is commonly used in Spanish and Italian cuisine. They are small, red, and have a sweet flavor. Pimentos are sold in jars with a brine solution to give them a longer shelf life. They are mild to sweet peppers that have been roasted and then pealed.
Tip: You can make your own pimento by roasting your favorite peppers.
You could fire-roast them as well. If you do, once you take them off the fire, place the peppers in a bowl and cover them with plastic wrap to steam. You could also place them in a paper bag.
The peel will come off easier this way. From there, just mince the pepper and use it in place of the canned pimentos.
The recipe begins with two types of cheddar cheese. Both Sharp and Extra Sharp for excellent flavor. Followed by the special, if almost secret ingredients. This might be the last pimento cheese recipe you'll ever need. Enjoy!
The use of both Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese & Sharp Cheddar is key to the recipe. Take note of the beautiful color differences between the two types of cheese.
Delicious Sharp Cheddar "brings" the flavor.
Only the very best when it comes to the Masters. If you haven't tried Duke's yet, then you've been missing out. The ingredients in Duke's reads exactly like it would a recipe you'd make at home in your kitchen. So Good!
Chives – Chopped. Which brings a pop of freshness, plus beautiful color.
The Secret Ingredient: - Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce.
Note: The chipotles will not make the pimento cheese recipe hot/spicy. It offers a nice smokey undertone flavor with a small amount of fresh spice.
Cottage Cheese – Some of you might be shocked to see cottage cheese, just do not add it, and you'll still have a great pimento cheese recipe.
Make sure to use "small" curd. If not, the pimento cheese will look too chunky.
Watch How To Make
Recipes To Try
📖 Recipe Card
Masters Pimento Cheese Recipe
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese (Shredded) 2 cups
- Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese (Shredded) 1 cup
- Cream Cheese 8 oz
- Cottage Cheese (Optional) ¾ cup
- Pimentos 4 tablespoon
- Mayonnaise 4 tablespoon
- Chives (Sliced thin into coins) 10
- Chipotles in Adobo Sauce (Chopped) 2 teaspoon
- Black Pepper 1 ½ teaspoon
- Sea Salt 1 teaspoon
- Start by hand grating the sharp cheddar & the extra sharp cheddar cheese. The grating of the cheese is so important for the texture. Use a box grater and grate on the side with the large grooves.
- In another bowl, mix the cottage cheese, room temperature cream cheese, chives, chopped chipotles, black pepper, mayonnaise & sea salt together.
- Then mix the grated cheese with the other ingredients. Combine, being careful to preserve the grate cheese texture.
- Once combined nicely, add in the pimentos last. The reason to wait until the last step to add the pimentos is to protect their shape and texture.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerator 12 to 36 hours for flavor development.