Our Candied Bacon Recipe is sweet, salty, and crispy, all in the same bite. Plus, it's really easy to make. There are a lot of foods that people claim to be the "best bacon ever." But a great candied bacon recipe, bacon candy, or known pig candy is in a league all of its own.
This blog post will teach you how to candied bacon like a pro. You'll be able to wow your friends and family with this delicious sweet and salty dessert!
⬇️ Table of Contents
Candied Bacon Recipe
Just imagine yourself at a party; you're walking around and saying hi to everyone, you pick up a nice refreshing beverage, and the host walks right up to you and asks you if you would like a piece of candied bacon. Easy decision, wouldn't you say?
Maybe one piece isn't quite enough, so...
Have you ever considered making bacon at home? The process takes 5 days and is rated level: "Easy." Our technique can be found here; Cured Homemade Bacon
- Thick-Cut Bacon
- Maple Syrup: how good does maple bacon with brown sugar mixture sound?
- Sugar mixture; Brown and white sugar
- Ground Cumin
- Spice: Option Ideas: Cayanne pepper, Mesquite Habanero, Chile Powder, Curry Powder
- Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
Ingredient quantities are listed on the recipe card.
Using thick-cut bacon provides an excellent crispy bite and chew. You can use thin-cut bacon; take note the thin-cut bacon will cook faster.
Cover the cookie sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and place a wire rack on top. This will allow the heat in the oven to move evenly around the bacon pieces and promote even cooking.
Another reason is presentation and texture. The beautiful pork belly slices will be crisper, and the candied element will be the same on both sides. If you place bacon directly on the cookie sheet, one side will be more caramelized, gooey, and chewy.
Arrange the bacon one after the other in an orderly fashion making sure the bacon place has some room between each slice.
Cover each piece of bacon with maple syrup or pancake syrup. We have more ingredients to add, so wait to coat the second side for now.
Sprinkle coarse brown sugar with a little bit of white sugar on each piece of bacon. Do this directly after adding the maple syrup for the maximum stick.
To create a perfect balance between the salty and candy bacon elements. We need to add something to balance: that would be a hint of spice.
You do not have to make things hot and spicy; a touch will improve the end product. This will act as the secret ingredient and make your guest wonder how you made bacon even better.
Choices like using cumin or chile powder would be playing it safe and not creating a hot spicy candied bacon. Just be careful and use either ingredient sparingly or risk overpowering the recipe.
Take things up a notch and add some heat. Here's a list of options to try:
- Ground Black Pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Habanero (ground)
- Sriracha Sauce
- Serrano Pepper (pasted)
- Chipotle Sauce, aka Adobo Sauce
Roast the bacon in a preheated oven of 375 degrees for around 20 to 30 minutes. Timing will depend on the thickness of the bacon and how evenly heated your oven is.
Once it is ready, allow it to cool down before eating, and transfer the bacon. The sugars will be caramelized and extremely hot, so do not burn your mouth. Flip the bacon once or twice while cooling so the bacon does not stick to the baking sheet wire rack.
Bacon Hack: When the bacon is almost done, you can turn the oven off and finish the bacon roasting with the oven slowly lowering in temperature. This technique is often used when cooking bacon at higher temperatures, yet it still works nicely with candied bacon.
What about other ingredients to replace the bacon? Here are a few ideas. If you have a great idea, please comment below, and it will be added to the list.
- Turkey Bacon
- Beef Bacon
- Carrot Bacon (sliced thin using a mandolin)
- Different types of sugar
- Dried Fruits (mash into a paste)
- Jams Preserves
- Fruit Compotes
Hillarious, there will never be leftover candied bacon.
To store, place in a tall air-tight container, standing each piece vertically to avoid sticking.
Top Candy Bacon Tip
Bacon straight out of the refrigerator is very cold in the center. This will cause the cooking time to increase. Allow the bacon to come close to room temperature before baking.
Prepare the bacon with the seasonings on both sides. Preheat the cookie sheet and the roasting rack in the oven for 5 minutes. Then lay the prepared strips of bacon on top of the racking rack.
Please note sugars caramelize and brown quickly. The dark color of the finished bacon isn't burnt. It's pure yummy and almost the best part. Enjoy!
How Long Does Candied Bacon Last?
Candied bacon, also known as candy bacon or pig candy, is a delicious treat made by coating bacon in sugar or another sweet substance and then cooking it.
Candied bacon can be enjoyed or used as a topping for desserts or other dishes. While the exact shelf life of candied bacon will depend on how it is stored, it is generally safe to eat for up to two weeks.
What Is Millionaire’s Bacon?
Millionaire bacon is a candied bacon made by coating sliced bacon in something sweet, such as brown sugar. Candied bacon is made by first cooking the bacon until it is crisp.
Then, the bacon is coated in a sweet mixture and cooked again until the sugar caramelizes. This gives the bacon a sweet and savory flavor that is irresistible.
How Do You Keep Candied Bacon Crispy?
The best way to keep candied bacon crispy is to store it in an airtight container in the fridge. Candied bacon will last for up to two weeks in the fridge.
Recipes With Bacon
📖 Recipe Card
Best Candied Bacon Recipe
- 2 packages Applewood Bacon Buy the thick-cut
- ½ cup Maple Syrup
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 2 teaspoon Fresh Black Pepper
Optional Flavor Enhancers
- 1 teaspoon BBQ Seasoning Use your favorite
- 1 teaspoon Ground Dried Habanero
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha Sauce Sriracha Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chipotle Sauce, aka Adobo Sauce
- Layout bacon on a cookie sheet with a roasting rack on top and aluminum foil underneath.
- Paint on the maple syrup with a pastry brush/food safe pain brush.
- Then sprinkle on the brown sugar. Then smooth over the brown sugar with the pastry brush, combining the maple syrup and brown sugar into one even layer. Next, add the cumin and fresh cracked black pepper. Then comes the spicy element. the sugar. Pick one from the list to up the flavor profile and balance out the bacon's saltiness with the sugar's sweetness.- BBQ Seasoning- Ground Dried Habanero- Sriracha Sauce- Chipotle Sauce, aka Adobo Sauce
Bonus Recipe: Bacon Onion Rings
- Cut out the middle section of a large onion. Remove the middle core of the onion. Use Vidalia onions for the sweet flavor they offer. Press out the onion into layers, individual circles.Take strips of bacon and wrap them around the onion. Make sure to only slightly overwrap with bacon, or the bacon will come too thick and slow down your cooking time.Paint on maple syrup and sprinkle on your favorite seasons, like more of the bbq seasoning.Bake the Bacon onion rings at 375 for around 30 to 40 minutes or until done.ling down.Pair with a dipping sauce like Sour cream and chive or ranch. Once out of the oven, flip over the bacon to avoid sticking. Do this a few times while cooling down.