If you're a fan of Sriracha, you know that this bright fresh red sauce can add a touch of heat to just about any dish. This hot pepper sauce is popular in Asian cuisine and has recently gained popularity in the United States. But have you ever wondered what kinds of peppers are in this hot pepper condiment?
Sriracha originated and gets its name from the city of Si Rach, Thailand. It's made with various types of peppers, including red jalapeño, serrano, and Thai chili peppers. It is typically made by fermenting jalapeno peppers and then grinding them into a paste. The sauce is savory, tangy, and spicy with garlic flavors and can be used as a condiment on various foods.
You can find it at most grocery stores or easily make your own homemade Sriracha.
If you're a fan of Sriracha, you may be wondering what kind of peppers are used to make this delicious sauce. Here's a closer look.
⬇️ Table of Contents
What Peppers Are In Sriracha Sauce?
The main version is fresh green and red jalapeño peppers, Fresno, serrano peppers, and Thai chili peppers. Thai chili peppers, you can find them under the name Birds Eye chilis each of these peppers adds a different level of heat and full flavor to the sauce.
Jalapeño peppers are the mildest flavor of the three, while serrano peppers are hotter. Thai chili peppers are the hottest pepper used, so use them sparingly if you're sensitive to spice. All of these hot pepper selections are combined with garlic, sugar, and salt to create the perfect signature flavor.
Our easy make homemade sriracha recipe is a perfect production of balance. Tip: To find Thai chilies supply look at your local specialty markets.
What Is Sriracha Sauce?
Sriracha hot sauce was first created in Thailand in the early 1980s. It was originally called "Sauce Si Racha" and was made with a combination of chili peppers, distilled vinegar, sugar, and salt. It became popular in Thailand and quickly spread to other parts of Asia.
In the early 1990s, a man named David Tran immigrated to the United States and started making it in his home kitchen. Tran's sauce was an instant hit, and he soon began selling it to local restaurants. Sriracha is one of the most popular condiments in the United States.
How To Use Sriracha Sauce
Sriracha can be used in a variety of ways. It's commonly used as a taste enhancing condiment for dipping or as an ingredient in recipes. It can be added to chicken, shrimp, burgers, noodles, eggs, popcorn, and more. It's also a popular ingredient in Bloody Marys and grilled cheese sandwiches.
If you're looking for a way to add spice to your meals, this special sauce is a great option. Try using it in one of these recipes or come up with your own Sriracha-inspired dish.
The Different Types of Sriracha
There are many different company product brands and types of Sriracha sauce available on the market today. Some popular brands include Huy Fong Sriracha hot chili sauce, Lee Kum Kee, and Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce.
When shopping for Sriracha, you'll also see that there are different types, such as original, mild, and hot. The original sauce is made with a combination of chili peppers, distilled vinegar, sugar, and salt. The mild sriracha has fewer chilies and is not as spicy. The hot peppers sriracha sauce is made with more fresh red chilies and is spicier, sometimes called Thai sriracha sauce. It is in high demand, and due to this, a sriracha shortage has caused the prices of the sauce to increase.
- Huy Fong Foods Brand: The rooster sauce is a famous brand of Sriracha produced by Huy Fong Foods. It has been called 'rooster sauce' because it prominently features the bird on its label, just as many other sauces do too, but theirs happens to be more prominent t
- Rooster Brand
- Shark Brand
- Thai Dragon Brand
- Triple Dragon Brand
- Dragon's Breath Brand
- Sambal Oelek Brand
- Red Boat Brand
Excellent use of sriracha sauce is when making Kimchi. The fermented sauce adds a deep red color and max flavor. Chop the red jalapeno peppers, Fresno, serrano, and Thai chili, then add the rest of the ingredients, plus sriracha (adds a nice level of spice shu: Scoville heat units), and nice acidity and bright red color.
You love the taste of this hot pepper sauce, but you're worried about the health risks associated with eating too much chili sauce.
Agitate: Chili peppers contain capsaicin compound that can cause gastritis and stomach ulcers.
Solution: Sodium bisulfite is the answer. This preservative prevents the growth of bacteria and mold, so you can enjoy your favorite hot sauce without worrying about health risks.
How To Store Sriracha Sauce
The storage can be done in a variety of ways. The most common way is to keep it in a jar or bottle in the fridge. Sriracha sauce will last for several months in the fridge. You can also freeze it in an ice cube tray and then store the cubes in a freezer bag. The sauce will last for up to six months in the freezer.
What Are The Health Benefits of Consuming Sriracha Sauce?
Sriracha sauce is high in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. It can help to improve heart health by reducing bad cholesterol levels and helping to prevent blood clots.
Additionally, the sauce is a good source of vitamins A and C. It can also help to boost the immune system.
Is Sriracha Sauce Vegan/Vegetarian Friendly?
Yes, Sriracha is vegan and vegetarian-friendly. The sauce is made from chili peppers, garlic, sugar, and salt – all vegan-friendly ingredients.
How Spicy Is Sriracha Sauce?
Sriracha is moderately spicy, with a heat rating of around 2,500 Scoville Heat Units (SHUs). This makes the sauce spicy but not too hot for most people to enjoy. For comparison, cayenne pepper rates at Scoville Heat Units: 5000-30,000.
If you’re looking for a hotter sauce option, there are many others available on the market. However, if you’re looking for a flavorful, moderately spicy sauce, Sriracha is a great option.
Posts To Visit
How Hot Are Jalapeño Peppers: 9 Types
Hottest Peppers In The World 2022
Carolina Reaper Pepper: Class HP22B
What Are Chipotle Peppers? (How To Make)
📖 Recipe Card
Homemade Sriracha Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound Red jalapeño Peppers You can continue to ripen the pepper at home. Allow them to side at room temperature to further denature and become an even hotter pepper.
- ½ pound Serrano Peppers
- ⅓ pound Thai Chile Peppers
- 2 cups White Distilled Vinegar
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 6 Cloves Garlic Peeled and smashed
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Water
Homemade Sriracha Sauce
- To make sriracha sauce, you'll need a variety of peppers, including jalapeño, serrano, and Thai chili peppers, plus the Sriracha sauce ingredients listed above.Preheat oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with foil. Broil jalapeños, both green and red jalapeños, along with the serranos on high heat until blackened, about 4 minutes. Let cool. Using red jalapenos will make your Sriracha hot. Roast the Thai chile in a pan on the stovetop.
- Remove the skin from the peppers and discard. Place the jalapeños, serrrons and thai chiles in a blender or food processor. Add distilled vinegar, sugar, garlic, and salt. Blend until smooth. The vinegar acts to helps preservative. If you want to extend the shelf life of your Sriracha, add ¼ teaspoon of potassium sorbate to the mixture before boiling.
- Add the peppers to a blender or food processor along with vinegar, garlic, sugar, and salt.
- Blend the ingredients until they're smooth. If you want to add a thickener to your Sriracha, you can add xanthan gum. Xanthan gum is a powder made from fermented carbohydrates. It is used as a thickener and stabilizer in food products. To add xanthan gum to your Sriracha, mix ¼ teaspoon with ¼ cup of water. Stir until the gum dissolves, then add it to the saucepan with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the sauce into a jar or bottle and store it in the fridge to ferment.
Leave a Reply