Texas Guacamole is Avocado Heaven
Simple ingredients coming together in culinary harmony
Bring "extra" Texas Guacamole to parties for the win, there's just never enough
3 Large Hass Avocados
juice of one lime /or lemon
half of one red onion – diced (small to medium)
2 garlic cloves (minced and pasted) pasting releases all the flavor of the garlic
one Roma tomato ( slice 4 sides of the Roma tomato and remove the middle) middle carries too much extra water and will make your guacamole watery…not good eats!
one Fresno chili (minced) | Fresno chilis are not hot peppers, they are more of a sweet pepper
half /to one full dried chili (minced)(guajillo chile) | place in microwave covered with water – set timer for 3 minutes
for extra heat add one minced jalapeno or serrano pepper
secret ingredient: to help balance out the flavors of the onion and garlic add ⅓ cup of mango or pineapple.
Tip #1 you can remove the stem at the end to see inside. Should be green.
Tip #2 avocados perish quickly after purchase. If you plan to use the avocados days after buying them, pick the avocados that are still very hard.
The goal is to slow down the oxidation of avocados. This is done using an acid like lemon or lime juice. Lime juice is the most classic selection.
A simple mistake is overworking your avocado. Add the tomatoes last to help ensure your guacamole isn't odd-colored by the red tomato being mushed.
- 3 large Hass Avocados
- 1 juiced Lime
- ½ large Red Onion - Diced Small to Medium dice
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced and Pasted Pasting releases all the flavor of the Garlic
- 1 Roma Tomato ( Slice 4 side off the Roma Tomato and remove the middle section
- 1 Fresno Chili Minced Fresno Chilies are not hot peppers, they are more of a sweet pepper
- ½ Guajillo (dried pepper) Minced
- For Extra Heat add one minced Jalapeno or Serrano Pepper
- ⅓ cup Mango Adding ½ cup total works as well. Give both amounts a try.
- 2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- First, combine the Avocados and Lime juice. Mash the Avocados, but not too much. You want texture in your finished Guacamole. More mixing to come, so be gentle.
- Next, add the Red Onion, Garlic, Peppers, and Salt and mix.When using fresh garlic, I suggest you paste the garlic using a knife.
- Add the Roma Tomato last so as not to destroy them from all the mixing. Perform and small dice on the tomatoes.
- Chef Tip:Tomatoes carry a lot of extra water and will make your Guacamole watery if you do not remove the middle section.
The Dry Chilies
- Split the chilies in half and remove the seeds. Use scissors. Place in the microwave covered with water - Set timer for 3 minutesChop the chilies up, then add the guacamole.
Texas Guacamole - Secret Ingredient - Hint: It's Huge
- Traditional Guacamole does not have tomatoes
- Buying limes a few days before and allow them to denature on the counter will help them become juicier
- The brown part of Avocados is oxidation and not harmful to humans. If the discoloring is too great, discard the avocado.
- Discolored avocados impart a small bit of bitterness
- Mangos are best when the outside skin is soft. This means the mangos are fully ripe and will be the sweetest.
Presentation - Learn To Make Avocado Flowers