The addition of the delicious herb sauce, called a Chimichurri sauce, this becomes a top-notch special recipe. The chimichurri sauce adds a perfect balance to the beef with herbaceous and a pop of acid.
🧐 Things to consider when making beef in the Instant Pot
- Searing the meat helps keep the juices inside ⬅️… The Instant Pot has a searing feature labeled, "Sauté".
- There are three temperature settings; 1)Less 2) Normal 3) More. Use the "Normal" setting for beef roasts.
- Adding vinegar or wine will help improve the finished tenderness. Each acts as a tenderizer. Be sure to cook off the raw vinegar, or the wine's alcohol. 1 to 2 minutes.
- Allow the meat to rest once removed from the Instant Pot. (5+ minutes)
- While grocery shopping, look for a high-quality cut of meat. USDA Prime beef is my choice. If you would like to know more about USDA Prime Beef ⬅️
- Room temperature beef will cook evenly. ⚠️
- Taking your time while searing the beef roast.
🔥 Searing The Beef Roast
- Turn the Instant Pot to the "Saute" setting.
- Switch the temperature setting to "More".
The beef has pours all over it and are wide open. If you do not sear the beef some of the natural juices will be lost during the cooking process.
🥘 Cuts Of Beef To Use
- Chuck Roast - located from cow's shoulder. A highly exercised muscle, which gives the beef a good flavor.
- Bottom Round - a cut of beef taken from outside the round, which is below the rump and above the upper leg.
- Brisket (Longer cooking) check out our Texas Style Instant Pot Brisket post.
- Beef Shank - a cut of beef, veal, from the upper or the lower part of the leg
- Beef Cheeks - https://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/recipes/explainers/what-are-beef-cheeks-2051
Here's What I Used - USDA Prime 1# Beef Chuck Roast: 💰$4.59/pound
- The beef roast needs to be at room temperature before cooking. (70 degrees area)
- Season the meat after removing it from the refrigerator. Salt the large piece of beef with enough salt to cover every inch. Not a good time to hold back on the salt.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the setting, "Sauté" and select "More" for the temperature. (See Chart Above)
- Once hot enough, add a few Tablespoons of canola/peanut oil. Choose an oil with a high smoke point.
- Searing: first inspect the beef roast to see if it needs to be patted dry. Make sure the roast is dry before searing. Once dry, sear the roast on all sides. Developing a nice color while taking your time.
- Remove the meat, then sauté the vegetables and get a little bit of color/caramelization. (Add butter if needed to help cook the vegetables)
- Deglaze with red wine (cabernet sauvignon), or port wine. Cook off the alcohol in the wine, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Switch the temperature from "More" down to "Normal".
- Place the beef roast on top of the sautéed vegetables.
- Add enough liquid, ie beef stock, chicken stock, water, to cover ⅓ of the meat. Leaving the top ⅔ of the roast above the liquid.
- Secure the Instant Pot lid. Make sure the rubber sealing ring is in place.
- Move the exhaust valve to the "Sealing" position.
- Programming the IP: Use the Meat/Stew pressure-cooker setting. Using "Normal" temperature. (See chart above)
- Timer Setting Options: ( 2 pound roast = 45 minutes) / ( 3 pound roast = 1 hour+)
👨🍳 How To Make Chimichurri Sauce
Chimichurri sauce is a South America popular condiment that pairs with beef like a dream. Easy and only need a few ingredients and a blender and you're all set.
Takes about 2 minutes to make.
Add each ingredient to a blender all at once.
- Parsley - one full bunch with stems
- Cilantro - one full bunch with stems
- Garlic - 2 Tablespoons / minced
- Red Wine Vinegar - ¼ cup
- 1 ½ Pine Nuts - suggested: toast in a dry pan on the stovetop first
- Oregano - 1 Tablespoon / dried herb
- Olive Oil - 3 Tablespoons
- Kosher salt /or Sea Salt - 2 teaspoons
- Black Pepper - 1 teaspoon
Blend all chimichurri ingredients, then take a taste. The flavor will only get better. The flavors will meld together.
Tip: One of our readers pointed out it is traditional in South American to use a small amount of the chimichurri sauce to marinade the beef. I'm going to give at a try soon. Have you tried the marinade technique before?
⛑️ FAQs - Safefy
- When the timer goes off, do nothing further. - The exhaust valve will be set on "Sealing". - The pressure will calm down on its own. The pressure pin will fall back into the lid and will be safe to open at that point.
- The process of moving the exhaust valve from "Sealing" over to "Venting". --- Take note, hot steam will be forced out of the valve. I use a long tool like a knife to move the valve. - The steam will calm down and the valve pin will drop back into the lid.
👪 Recipes To Try
- Instant Pot Back Back Ribs
- Instant Pot Cream Of Mushroom Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Beef Sirloin
Loving the Instant Pot so much that for Christmas we used the Instant Pot and made chili. Used our award-winning Texas Chili recipe and Instapot'ed it over to a new recipe.
Instant Pot Beef Roast With Chimichurri Sauce
- 2 pound Chuck Roast / source USDA Prime beef
- 2 Carrots / sliced into coins
- 1 large Onion / medium dice
- 2 stalks Celery / cut down the stock/coins
- 1 medium Poblano Pepper / sliced
- 1 cup Red Wine (Cabernet Sauvignon) / what you like to drink)
- 2 Tablespoon Tomato Paste / add more if you like, will deepen the flavor
- 2 leaves Bay Leaf
- 2 Tablespoon Sea Salt / use enough to season meat on all sides
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper / to taste
- ⅓ cup Soy Sauce / use more if you like
- ⅓ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper / optional
- 1 bunch Cilantro / with stems
- 1 bunch Parsley / with stems
- 2 Tablespoon Garlic / minced
- ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar / or to taste
- 1 ½ Tablespoon Pine Nuts / toasted
- 3 T Olive Oil / might need more
- 1 Tablespoon Oregano / dried herb
- 2 teaspoon Salt / or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper / or to taste
2 Methods - High-Pressure & Low-Pressure
- We will cover two ways of using the Instant Pot to make the best moist beef an Instant Pot could dream up.;1) High Pressure Method 2) Slow Cooker Method - Instant Pot has a slow cooker feature.
- Season the beef with sea salt or kosher salt. Rub the salt into the meat. Allow sitting at room temperature for 10 minutes. The ingredient list states to use 2 Tablespoons, use enough to cover the entire piece of beef. Only use what you need.
- First, turn ON the Instant Pot using the Sauté setting.The Instant Pot has multiple temperature settings. Make sure your on the high heat setting / (temperature - labeled as "MORE").- Be patient and allow the Instant Pot to get hot. Once hot, sear off the beef on all sides. Take your time and develop a nicely browned exterior.
- Once seared on all sides change the temperature to "Normal".Add in 2 chopped carrots, 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped poblano, 2 stalks of celery, and sauté them for a few minutes. Look for the vegetable to release some of the natural waters and take on a little bit of color.
- Next, add in 1 cup of red wine. Cook the wine with the vegetables until the alcohol has cooked off. Around 2 minutes.
- Then add in 2 Tablespoons of tomato paste. This will add a deep level of flavor to the recipe. - I would not skip this step.Cook the tomato paste with the vegetable for around a minute. Looking for the tomato paste to incorporate into the vegetables.
- Add in the 2 bay leaves, pinch of salt and pepper, soy sauce. Optional: add cayenne pepper.Then add the beef back into the Instant Pot on top of the vegetables.
- Liquid levels differ from each method. Higher liquid for the slow cooker, lower liquid for high pressure method. Answered below...
Instant Pot Settings - High Pressure
- Continuing from the last instruction aboveAdd either, water, chicken, beef, vegetable stock/broth to Instant Pot. Add enough to cover all the vegetables and the bottom ⅓ of the beef roast.Place the lid on the Instant Pot - Make sure the plastic sealing ring is in place on the underside of the lid. Once the lid is secured make sure the release valve is set to sealing/closed.
- Next press the "Meat/Stew" button - Make sure the temperature is set to "Normal"- The middle option on Instant Pots. The Cooking Times2 Pounds - Timer = 45 minutes - followed by 15 minutes natural release3 Pounds - Timer = 60 minutes- followed by 15 minutes natural release
Instant Pot Settings - Slow Cooker
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot - Make sure the plastic sealing ring is in place on the lid. Once the lid is secured make sure the release valve is set to sealing/closed.
- Next press the "slow cook" button - Make sure the pressure is set to normal - The middle option on Instant Pots. The Cooking Times2 Pounds - Timer = 4 to 5 hours - once the timer is up allow 10 minutes before pressure release3 Pounds - Timer = 5 to 6 hours - once the timer is up allow 10 minutes before pressure release
How To Make Chimichurri Sauce
- Using a blender or food processor - add the cilantro and parsley and pulse a few times to get things started.
- Then add in the red wine vinegar, garlic. Pulse a few times.
- Then start adding in the olive oil. Be careful to not use too much. Start small and see if you like the consistency. You can always add more, but taking away is not so easy.
- TSA: Taste - Season - AdjustAdd your salt and pepper
- The exhaust valve will be set on "Sealing".
- The pressure will calm down on its own. The pressure pin will fall back into the lid and will be safe to open at that point. Quick Release / Quick Pressure Release - The process of moving the exhaust valve from "Sealing" over to "Venting". --- Take note, hot steam will be forced out of the valve. I use a long tool like a knife to move the valve.
- The steam will calm down and the valve pin will drop back into the lid.