This easy Instant Pot roast beef recipe for Instant Pot Beef Roast with Chimichurri Sauce is a foolproof way to get super tender beef quickly. The addition of the delicious herb sauce, called "Chimichurri sauce," takes this dish to the next level.
The Chimichurri sauce perfectly balances this pot roast recipe with its herbaceous flavor and a pop of acid. Trust us; this dish is sure to become a new family favorite.
How To Make Instant Pot Beef Roast
Using our beef recipe is sure to become a new family favorite when it comes to the best Instant Pot recipes. We love pairing them with mashed potatoes; make this great recipe creamy mashed potatoes recipe. And you can never go wrong with home gravy made using the cooking liquid.
⬇️ Table of Contents
- How To Make Instant Pot Beef Roast
- 🧐 Things To Consider: Pot Roast Beef Recipe in an Instant Pot
- 🔥 Searing The Beef Roast
- 🥘 What Cut of Beef is Best for Pot Roast?
- How Long Do I Cook a Pot Roast in an Instant Pot?
- How Long Do You Cook a 3lb Roast In an Instant Pot?
- 📖 Instructions
- 👨🍳 How To Make Chimichurri Sauce
- ⛑️ FAQs - Safety
- 📖 Recipe Card
🧐 Things To Consider: Pot Roast Beef Recipe in an Instant Pot
- Searing the meat helps keep the juices inside ⬅️... The Instant Pot has a searing feature labeled "Sauté."
- There are three temperature settings; 1) Less, 2) Normal, and 3) More. Use the "Normal" setting for beef roasts.
- Adding vinegar or wine will help improve the finished tenderness. Each acts as a tenderizer. Be sure to cook off the raw vinegar or the wine's alcohol. 1 to 2 minutes.
- Allow the meat to rest once removed from the Instant Pot. (5+ minutes)
- While grocery shopping, look for a high-quality cut of meat. USDA Prime beef is my choice. If you would like to know more about USDA Prime Beef ⬅️
- Room temperature beef will cook evenly. ⚠️
- Take your time while searing the beef roast.
🔥 Searing The Beef Roast
- Turn the Instant Pot to the "Saute" setting.
- Switch the temperature setting to "More."
The beef has poured all over it and is wide open. If you do not sear the beef, some of the natural juices will be lost during the cooking process.
🥘 What Cut of Beef is Best for Pot Roast?
There are many different cuts of beef that can be used for pot roast, but the chuck roast is generally considered to be the best. The chuck roast is a tough cut of beef that is full of flavor, and it becomes very tender when cooked slowly in a pot.
There are many different cuts of beef that can be used for pot roast. Chuck roast and bottom round are two of the most common. Both are relatively tough cuts of meat, but the chuck roast is a bit more tender. The bottom round can be used for pot roast, but it may be a bit tougher.
- Chuck Roast - located from cow's shoulder. A highly exercised muscle gives the beef a good flavor.
- Bottom Round - a cut of beef taken from outside the round, below the rump, and above the upper leg.
- Brisket (Longer cooking) check out our Texas Style Instant Pot Brisket post.
- Beef Shank - a cut of beef, or veal, from the upper or the lower part of the leg
- Beef Cheeks - https://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/recipes/explainers/what-are-beef-cheeks-2051
Here's What I Used - USDA Prime 1# Beef Chuck Roast: 💰$4.59/pound
How Long Do I Cook a Pot Roast in an Instant Pot?
The cooking time for a pot roast in an instant pot will depend on the size and type of roast you are using. For a small roast, the cooking time should be around 60 minutes. For a larger roast, the cooking time should be increased to 90 minutes. An Instant Pot pot roast is a great way to cook a delicious and hearty meal with little effort.
How Long Do You Cook a 3lb Roast In an Instant Pot?
You can cook a 3lb roast in an Instant Pot for about an hour. However, the cooking time will vary depending on the size and type of roast you use.
- The beef roast needs to be at room temperature before cooking. (70-degree area)
- Season the meat after removing it from the refrigerator. Salt the large piece of beef with enough salt to cover every inch. This is not a good time to hold back on the salt.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the " Sauté " setting and select "More" for the temperature. (See Chart Above)
- Once hot enough, add a few tablespoons of canola or peanut oil. Choose an oil with a high smoke point.
- Searing: first, inspect the beef roast to see if it needs to be patted dry. Make sure the roast is dry before searing. Once dry, sear the roast on all sides. Developing a nice color while taking your time.
- Remove the meat, sauté the vegetables ( poblano, onion, carrots, and celery), and get a little color or caramelization. (Add butter if needed to help cook the vegetables.)
- Deglaze with red wine (cabernet sauvignon) or port wine. Cook off the alcohol in the wine for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Switch the temperature from "More" down to "Normal."
- Place the beef roast on top of the sautéed vegetables.
- Add enough liquid, ie, beef stock, chicken stock, and water, to cover ⅓ of the meat. Leaving the top ⅔ of the roast above the liquid.
- Secure the Instant Pot lid. Make sure the rubber sealing ring is in place.
- Move the exhaust valve to the "Sealing" position.
- Programming the IP: Use the meat/stew pressure cooker setting. Using "Normal" temperature. (See chart above)
- Timer Setting Options: ( 2 pound roast = 45 minutes) / ( 3 pound roast = 1 hour+)
If you would like a classic pairing of carrots and potatoes, you can wrap them in aluminum foil and place them inside the Instant Pot during the cooking process. Using baby potatoes can be helpful; the small size helps them hold their shape during cooking.
👨🍳 How To Make Chimichurri Sauce
Chimichurri sauce is a popular South American condiment that pairs with beef like a dream. It's easy, and you only need a few ingredients and a blender, and you're all set.
It takes about 2 minutes to make.
Add each ingredient to a blender all at once.
- Parsley - one full bunch with stems
- Cilantro - one full bunch with stems
- Garlic - 2 Tablespoons / minced
- Red Wine Vinegar - ¼ cup
- 1 ½ Pine Nuts - suggested: toast in a dry pan on the stovetop first
- Oregano - 1 Tablespoon / dried herb
- Olive Oil - 3 Tablespoons
- Kosher salt /or Sea Salt - 2 teaspoons
- Black Pepper - 1 teaspoon
Blend all the chimichurri ingredients, then taste. The flavor will only get better. The flavors will meld together.
Tip: One of our readers pointed out that in South America, a small amount of chimichurri sauce is traditionally used to marinate the beef. I'm going to give it a try soon. Have you tried the marinade technique before?
⛑️ FAQs - Safety
Natural Release / Natural Pressure Release
- When the timer goes off, do nothing further. - The exhaust valve will be set on "Sealing." - The pressure will calm down on its own. The pressure pin will fall back into the lid and will be safe to open at that point.
Quick Release / Quick Pressure Release
The process of moving the exhaust valve from "Sealing" over to "Venting."
Take note hot steam will be forced out of the valve. I use a long tool like a knife to move the valve. - The steam will calm down, and the valve pin will drop back into the lid.
👪 Post To Visit
The Perfect Instant Pot Chili RecipeFall-Off-The-Bone Instant Pot Ribs
Best Beef For Jerky | Texas Jerky Recipe
How To Cook Bok Choy | Stir-Fry
45 Types of Potatoes | A-to-Z | Photos
Types of Sweet Potatoes | A to Z | Photos
Authentic Texas Chili Recipe: Award-Winning
📖 Recipe Card
Instant Pot Beef Roast Recipe with Chimichurri Sauce
- 3 pound Chuck Roast Source USDA Prime beef
- 2 stalks Carrots Sliced into coins
- 1 large Onion Medium dice
- 2 stalks Celery Cut down the stock/coins
- 1 medium Poblano Pepper Sliced
- 1 cup Red Wine (Cabernet Sauvignon) What you like to drink)
- 2 Tablespoon Tomato Paste dd more if you like, will deepen the flavor
- 2 leaves Bay Leaf
- 2 Tablespoon Sea Salt Use enough to season meat on all sides
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper To taste
- ⅓ cup Soy Sauce Ue more if you like
- ⅓ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper Optional
- 2 cups Beef Broth You can use beef stock for added flavor
- 1 bunch Cilantro / with stems
- 1 bunch Parsley / with stems
- 2 Tablespoon Garlic / minced
- ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar / or to taste
- 1 ½ Tablespoon Pine Nuts / toasted
- 3 T Olive Oil / might need more
- 1 Tablespoon Oregano / dried herb
- 2 teaspoon Salt / or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper / or to taste
2 Methods - High-Pressure & Low-Pressure
- We will cover two ways of using the Instant Pot to make the best moist beef an Instant Pot could dream up.;1) High-Pressure Method 2) Slow Cooker Method - Instant Pot has a slow cooker feature.You can also use this recipe for a crock pot to make a tender roast as well.
- Season the beef with sea salt or kosher salt. Rub the salt into the meat. Allow sitting at room temperature for 10 minutes. The ingredient list states to use 2 Tablespoons; use enough to cover the entire piece of beef. Only use what you need.
- First, turn ON the Instant Pot using the Sauté setting.The Instant Pot has multiple temperature settings. Ensure your setting is on the high heat setting / (labeled as "MORE"). Be patient and allow the Instant Pot to get hot. Once hot, sear off the beef on all sides. Take your time and develop a nicely browned exterior.
- Once seared on all sides, change the temperature to "Normal."Add in 2 chopped carrots, 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped poblano, and 2 stalks, and sauté them for a few minutes. Look for the vegetable to release some of the natural water and add a little color.
- Next, add in 1 cup of red wine. Cook the wine with the vegetables until the alcohol has cooked off. Around 2 minutes.
- Then add in 2 Tablespoons of tomato paste. This will add a deep level of flavor to the recipe. Cook the tomato paste with the vegetable for around a minute. Looking for the tomato paste to incorporate into the vegetables.
- Add in the 2 bay leaves, a pinch of salt and pepper, and soy sauce. Optional: add cayenne pepper.Then add the beef roast back into the Instant Pot on top of the vegetables.
- Liquid levels differ from each method. Higher liquid for the slow cooker, lower liquid for the high-pressure method.
Instant Pot Settings - High Pressure
- Continuing from the last instruction aboveAdd either water, chicken broth, beef stock, vegetable stock, or beef broth to the bottom of the pot. Add enough to cover all the vegetables and the bottom ⅓ of the beef roast.Place the lid on the Instant Pot - Make sure the plastic sealing ring is in place on the underside of the lid. Once the lid is secured, ensure the release valve is set to sealing/closed.
- How Cook a Roast in the Instant Pot: (Our suggestion is Not to cook a frozen roast.)Next, press the "Meat/Stew" button - Make sure the temperature is set to "Normal"- The middle option on Instant Pots. The Cooking Times2 Pounds - Timer = 45 minutes - followed by 15 minutes natural release3 Pounds - Timer = 60 minutes- followed by 15 minutes natural releaseIt's that simple to make a roast in the Instant Pot
Instant Pot Settings - Slow Cooker
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot - Make sure the plastic sealing ring is in place on the lid. Once the lid is secured, make sure the release valve is set to sealing/closed.
- Next, press the "slow cook" button - Make sure the pressure is set to normal - The middle option is on Instant Pots. The Cooking Times2 Pounds - Timer = 4 to 5 hours - once the timer is up, allow 10 minutes before pressure release3 Pounds - Timer = 5 to 6 hours - once the timer is up, allow 10 minutes before pressure release
How To Make Chimichurri Sauce
- Using a blender or food processor - add the cilantro and parsley and pulse a few times to get things started.Then add in the red wine vinegar and garlic. Pulse a few times.Then start adding in the olive oil. Be careful not to use too much. Start small and see if you like the consistency. You can always add more, but taking away is not so easy. TSA: Taste - Season - AdjustAdd your salt and pepper
- The exhaust valve will be set on "Sealing".
- The pressure will calm down on its own. The pressure pin will fall back into the lid and will be safe to open at that point. Quick Release / Quick Pressure Release - The process of moving the exhaust valve from "Sealing" over to "Venting". --- Take note, hot steam will be forced out of the valve. I use a long tool like a knife to move the valve.
- The steam will calm down and the valve pin will drop back into the lid.
Loved it! Just made it ?
Oh, and I think you meant tomato paste, not pasta, and a bushel Cilantro/ bushel Parsley is a"bunch! lol
I agree. That's hilarious. Thanks for the catch.
Hi Stephen! So, you have a slow cook and a high pressure cook. Which one are you recommending for maximum flavor and tenderness?
Also John for maximum tenderness I like using the pressure cooker setting. The thought is cooking the meat quicker allows for the meat to retain more of its natural moisture.
Thank you for the cooking tips. I'm about to throw mine in with the tomato paste, which I've never tried.
One other suggestion since you are making the chimichurri already, make extra and marinate the beef in some. This is a traditional South American way to tenderize beef.
Thank you for the tip. Will give that a try soon.