Video - Baby Back Ribs - Done Within One Hour
Fall Off The Bone Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs | Secret BBQ Sauce Recipe
I could not be happier about sharing this recipe with you today; Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs. As a Chef, I’m often asked what kind of food I love to make and I happily answer with “BBQ low and slow”. The Instant Pot is the opposite, higher heat and fast.
BBQ – Learning the techniques of great BBQ is a test of time. No one jumps to the front of the pack. It’s a combination of lessons learned from successes and mistakes. Best part of BBQ, it takes a long time to cook usually, sometimes, over 20-hour cook times.
Bonus: Family and friends, no matter how the food turns out everyone’s winners.
Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs
Under 1 Hour
To me, the thought of being able to actually cook Instant Pot Ribs in an hour is still unbelievable. Not only cook the Ribs but cook them to the point you really want to eat them because they are the right texture and truly fall off the bone goodness.
Instant Pot IP-LUX606-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker, 6.33-Quart 1000-Watt
Special BBQ Sauce Recipe
Couldn’t be easier, plus “TOP Secret Ingredient Revealed
The BBQ sauce is a righteous condiment and has many uses. It’s a little like being a kid creating little experiments until you find a recipe you feel like you hit out of the park. There are so many directions you could go with BBQ sauce. Have you heard about Mississippi White Sauce? Yep, BBQ sauce that is White and very much like a bechamel sauce when creating the base. (Article on Bechamel Sauce here). Want an Asian spin to your flavors? Try using some hoisin sauce next time. Great stuff.
Preparing the Ribs for the Instant Pot
When shopping for the Baby Back Ribs I suggest looking for a rack of ribs that is what I would describe “Meaty”. The thicker Baby Back Ribs end up being juicier and offer a more tender moist bite.
Key Step – Seasoning the Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs 5+ Minutes Before Going Into The Instant Pot
- Use your favorite Dry Rub Seasoning. Here’s one I like:
- Click Image for purchase
- Next, rinse the ribs off under water and pat dry.
- KEY Step: Liberally season the Ribs making sure to completely cover the Ribs.
- Allow the Ribs to sit out for a minimum of 5 minutes, 10 is better. This will allow the seasoning to penetrate the Ribs.
Instant Pot Settings & Setup
Overall very easy 🙂
Place the Ribs into the Instant Pot. You could cut the rack of Ribs in half. Or place them as a whole rack of ribs as shown below
Next, add 1 to 2 Tbsp of the same Dry Rub seasoning you used on the Ribs, plus 8 Cups of Water. I’ve tried this recipe without as much water before. Nope, does not turn out as good.
Secure the top and move the vent on the top of the Instant Pot – over to – “Sealing”
Programming for Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs
- Click the “Meat/Stew” option, as this is a pressure cooker setting.
- The Instant Pot will turn on. The pressure cooker setting will also turn on. We need them to be on High Pressure & Normal. Shown in the picture below.
- The timer setting: If you have large thick Baby Back Ribs I like a setting of around 45 minutes. Thin Ribs would be anywhere between 35 minutes to 40 minutes.
- Next, the Instant Pot will pressurize. You’ll see the timer switch over to the word “ON” The pressurization will take about 7 to 10 minutes
- From there, the timer you set will reappear and the clock countdown will begin.
- Hard work is over. Fall off the bone Baby Back Ribs coming right UP!
Instant Pot Safety – How To Remove The Top / Cover / Lid
This is the key area that scares everyone. “How to remove the food from the Pressure Cooker”
-See Photo Below-
This is only KEY safety variable you need to be aware of and pay attention to is the release pin. Make sure the small valve releases and falls back down into the instant pot lid.
The pressure inside the Instant Pot causes that valve to be pushed up. Once it falls the pressure is low enough to open the lid. I suggest releasing the pressure for an additional 30 seconds after the pin falls. #SteamWillBeHot
Once the lid is off, remove the Ribs and pour out the cooking liquid. Then place the Ribs back into the Instant Pot to cool off for about 3 minutes. This will make handling the Ribs easier.
Then place the Ribs on a cookie sheet with a roasting rack on top and paint on the BBQ sauce
Next: Under the Broiler for 3 to 5 minutes. The Key is to make sure your oven rack isn’t too close to the broiler or the sugars in the BBQ sauce could burn. Place your oven rack a little above the middle position.
Walla – Please Enjoy & Share!!!
Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs
- 1 Rack of Baby Back Ribs
- 12 oz Concentrated Apple Juice
- Enough Dry Rub to cover the entire rack of ribs plus 2 Tbsp for the cooking liquid
- 8 Cups Water
- BBQ Sauce
- BBQ Sauce Recipe Below This Recipe card
- Remove the Ribs from the package and rinse the ribs off and pat dry.
- Next cover the ribs with honey. Just pour enough to cover. This will act as glue to help the dry rub stick. Some people like using Mustard instead of Honey. Then sprinkle on a liberal amount of dry rub and work it lightly into the Ribs.
- The Ribs need to sit for a minimum of 5 minutes with the dry rub. This will act like a quick cure allowing the dry rub to penetrate the meat. Longer is better.
- Add the can of Apple Juice to the Instant Pot along with 2 Tbsp of dry rub and 8 cups of water. Or enough water to almost cover the ribs.
- Place the ribs into the Instant Pot. You could cut the rack of ribs in half or keep them whole.
- Secure the Instant Pot Lid.
Instant Pot Settings & Safety
- First move the top pressure switch over to "Sealing" from "Release".
- Once the lid is secure press the "Meat/Stew" option on the front panel. This is a pressure cooker setting. Next make sure the Instant Pot is set to "High" pressure and "Normal" heat.
- See photo:
- Set your timer from 35 minutes for normal size Ribs. Thicker Ribs can be anywhere up to 45 minutes. Which is what I used.
- The Instant Pot will switch ON, then and will take about 7 minutes to pressurize the Instant Pot. From there the Instant Pot timer will reappear and start the countdown.
- Once the timer as expired, using something heat safe, move the top pressure valve to release. I use a knife and just tilt the release valve a little until the steam starts to release.
- The steam will start to release. You will know the Instant Pot is safe to open once the release valve drops back into the Instant Pot
- Next remove the lid and pour out all the cooking liquid and place the ribs back into the Instant Pot for a few minutes to cool down. Then remove the ribs and place them on a roasting rack and paint on BBQ sauce. The ribs will still be hot and happy to suck up that BBQ sauce. #FlavorBuilding
- Place the ribs into the oven under the broiler for added texture and presentation. Be careful that the rack in your oven isn't too close to the top broiler or the BBQ sauce could burn.
- Please Enjoy!!!
- 1 Cup Ketchup Hunts Brand – No High Fructose Corn Syrup Helpful with controlling the sweet level yourself.
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Honey Mustard Use what you like
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp of favorite hot sauce add all ingredient first then taste season and adjust before adding more hot sauce
- TOP Secret Ingredient:
- – Wasabi Sauce – Wasabi is not HOT but is spicy it’s strongly floral and fragrant like horseradish. What makes it a secret flavor weapon. The heat side of the Wasabi is up front then quickly calms down. Not like spicy peppers that have capsaicin, which is an oil. Once the oil from a pepper touches your tongue that spiciness isn’t going away quickly like Wasabi does.
- 2 to 3 tsp Wasabi sauce/paste
- 1 Tbsp of Honey
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Pinch of Salt & Fresh Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- Mix Ingredient together starting with adding the tomato ketchup first then all other ingredients there afterward.