Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup | Le Cordon Bleu Recipe
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Cream of mushroom soup is a hit or miss for most people. Either you love it, or you could do without. It is truly amazing how many recipes call for cream of mushroom. I personally love it and wanted to share.
The other day I was looking through one of my culinary school recipe books and saw this recipe, and it hit me I had to make a How-To Video.
This recipe does not take long to make and keeps nicely in the refrigerator. Freezes very easy also, just add a little water before freezing. When you pull the cream of mushroom out of the freezer for use, if the consistency is a little loose, put the cream of mushroom soup in a pot and cook on the stovetop on medium/ high heat. The heat will cause the soup to reduce a little and that will tighten up the soup.
How many kinds/types of mushrooms do you believe exist in nature?
The answer is over 10,000 mushrooms, and it is believed there are many many more. Good thing we have the grocery store to help guide us to all the quality mushrooms.
In the recipe, I used Crimini mushrooms. They look like this
These are great mushroom and have more flavor than its little brother the Button mushroom (Below)
Both types of mushroom are highly available nowadays. Go for the Crimini, you’ll be glad you did.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 Cups Chopped Mushrooms Suggest Crimini Mushrooms
- 4 Tbs Butter
- 3 Tbs All Purpose Flour
- 3 Tbs Chopped Shallot
- 8 Oz Heavy Cream
- 1 Tbs Fresh Thyme or 1 1/2 Tsp Dried Thyme Rub dry herb in your hands to release the natural oils
- 32 oz Chicken Stock or Vegetable Stock
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt
- First, wash & rinse Mushrooms. Slice Mushrooms, they will end up in a blender so the cut doesn't matter greatly this time. In a medium pot add 1 Tbs of Butter, melt the butter and add all of the shallots. Sweat the shallots till they start to change color and start browning.
- Once mushrooms are lightly browned add the remaining butter in a well in the middle of the pot and melt butter, once melted add the flour on top of the butter and combine.
- Next, add the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Then add the thyme and cook for 4 minutes. Add the heavy cream and then puree the soup in a blender till smooth ( about 90 seconds )
- Last add the smooth mushrooms back into the pot and cook for a few minutes till the soup is the consistency of your liking.
Tip: Keep a few thin sliced Mushroom pieces for garnish.
Fine Dining Cream of Mushroom Soup | Le Cordon Bleu Recipe
Check out Weekend Potluck #351 covering great recipe ideas for Thanksgiving or any family gathering. Enjoy! @ https://www.thecountrycook.net/sausage-cheese-bread-weekend-potluck-351/