Why isn't Cantaloupe ice cream a mainstream thing already? The reaction from people when I mention it has been of excitement. When people hear Cantaloupe ice cream, their ears and eyes perk up with excitement.
Two methods to making Cantaloupe ice cream. One method is done using a blender, then frozen. The second method uses the classic French technique, called cream Anglaise.
The recipe takes about 15 minutes to make, then 3 to 4 hours in the freezer to become ice cream.
⬇️ Table of Contents
👪 Why This Recipe Works
I believe it's because it's simple. 4 ingredients.
- The first method is like making a Granita - which is a semi-frozen dessert made of using sugars, water or creams, and other flavorings.
The second method, my favorite, is making real cantaloupe ice cream. We cover the key to success, which is tempering the eggs. So easy. Use a temperature probe to check the exact temperatures. We'll get to that in a minute.
- Ripe Cantalouple
- Three Egg Yolks 🥚
- Fine White Sugar
- Heavy Cream of Half & Half
I like adding in salt as well 🧂
Eggs: (vegetarian/vegan) non-meat option
- Chia Seeds (use 1 tablespoon for each egg replacement) Chia Seeds can be used in a lot of recipes to replace eggs. Chia seeds provide a binder effect to recipes. Also creates a thicker texture. Eggs act as the glue in baked goods. Chia seeds can do that as well.
- Mashed Bananas (use ¼ of a cup to each egg replacement)
- Avocado (use ¼ of a cup to each egg replacement)
- Nut Butter (use 3 tablespoons / 60 grams for each egg replacement)
- Soy Milk - 1 cup (237 ml) of heavy cream, combine ⅔ cup (159 ml) of soy milk with ⅓ cup (79 ml) of olive oil
- Silken Tofu - best mixed with soy milk to create the creamy consistency you're looking for in a good ice cream
- Coconut Sugar
- Banana Puree
- Brown Rice Syrup
Can I Use Fresh Cantaloupe Bought Today?
Yes, the rule of thumb is you'll need to increase the amount of sugar. Cantaloupe that has had time to ripen off the vine will provide a sweeter melon/cantaloupe
How To Pick Which Cantaloupe To Buy
The oldest trick in the book is to thump the melon/cantaloupe with your middle finger. Flick it and listen for a deep thud. That's the one you want.
What Other Fruits Work With This Recipe?
Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Honeydew Melon, Avocados Dragon Fruit, Peaches.
When is cantaloupe in season?
Each state has a different growing season for cantaloupe. Here's a link to check when your area is in season
I'll show you how to make cantaloupe ice cream the easy and classic way.
Remove the Cantaloupe from the Rind
- Cut in cantaloupe in half
- Check the cantaloupe and for ripeness (make an impression)
- Remove the seeds (photo 2 & 3)
- Photo 4 - how deep to remove the cantaloupe
- Photo 4 - shows quantity one cantaloupe provides
🍨 How To Make An Ice Cream Base
- Add 2 Cups of Heavy Cream To Pot Over Medium Heat
- Add ½ Cup of White Sugar
- Bring Heat To Below The Boil 180 Degrees To Melt Sugar
🥚 How To Temper Egg Yolks
- Remove ⅓ of the base liquid into the side bowl allow to cool down to 140 degrees
- Mix in 3 egg yolks to the side bowl
- Mix together
- Pour base back into the main pot with the heat off (once @140 degrees)
- Keep stirring Ice cream base, will continue to thicken
🥗 More Recipes You Might Like
- Avocado Ice Cream
- Classic French Vanilla Ice Cream
- Ultimate Fudge Brownies
- Banana Bread Coffee Cake
- Blueberry Banana Bread
📖 Recipe Card
- Cantaloupe Melon (/ best to buy 3 to 4 days before using for max sweetness) 1 ripe (1 ripe)
- White Table Sugar ½ cup (100 g)
- Heavy Cream (/ Half & Half will work) 2 cups (476 g)
- Egg Yolks (/ do not use the egg whites making ice cream) 3 (3 )
Making Cantaloupe Ice Cream
- Prep the cantaloupe. For best results allow the cantaloupe to ripen (denature) on the counter for 3 to 4 days.
- Cut the cantaloupe in half through the middle. Remove the cantaloupe pulp from the rind of the cantaloupe.
- Add the cantaloupe to a blender or food processor and blend into a puree and set it aside.
- Place a medium-sized pot on the stovetop and add the heavy cream and sugar, bring to a soft simmer over medium heat. Around 180 degrees. Just hot enough you'll begin to see bubbles breaking the top surface of the heavy cream.
- Once to temperature, add the sugar. Stir to melt the sugar. Once melted turn off the heat.
Tempering the Eggs
- Tempering eggs is the technique of incorporating egg into a hot liquid to avoid scrambling the eggs.Using a bowl that is room temperature. Ladle in a ⅓ of the hot heavy cream.Allow to cool down to a temperature around 140 degrees. I suggest using a temperature probe.
- After heavy cream and sugar are cooler, add in 3 egg yolks at once and whisk together quickly.
- Pour the tempered eggs into the larger pot with the heavy cream and sugar.Whisk together very quickly with the heat off.
- If using an ice cream maker, be sure to place the machine freezing base into the freezer for a few hours before making ice cream.
- Pour the ice cream into the machine and turn it on, following the machine instructions. Ice cream will take a few hours in the freezer to set up.
- Using a blender or food processor add in the cantaloupe and pulse a few times.
- Add the heavy cream and sugar, plus a teaspoon of salt. Add more salt if desired
- Blend everything together until smooth.
- Pour the cantaloupe granita base into an ice cream maker or simply use a large bowl.Place into the freezer for 4 plus hours to set up / freeze.
- Older cantaloupe will be sweeter than freshly picked
- See above for a list of alterations and substitutes ingredients
- Use a little bit less sugar when making cantaloupe granita
- Substituting different fruits using the same recipe and technique works perfectly
- Find out when cantaloupe is in season in your state