Banana Bread Coffee Cake w/ Cream Cheese Stuffing
Did you grow up eating Banana bread? Do you remember your mother or father serving a piece of Banana bread with a slice of warm butter on top? Aren’t those special memories? I always thought my mother’s Banana Bread was the best. I still do. I’ll do a post soon on just making her Banana bread, I’ll have to ask her first if it’s ok. This recipe creation came from the love of Banana bread and cheese. Are you still with me? I mean, bread and cheese into a dessert. My goodness… As the Italian’s say, (Insert Accent) “For get about it” 🙂 So Good! What’s the best part of a coffee cake? No, not coffee silly, it’s the streusel topping. Brown sugar, butter and cinnamon coming together into a crisp crust on top. There is something special about a coffee cake. I never met a coffee cake I didn’t like…And this one has shot to the top of my list of favorites.
Kitchen Tip: If you would like to make this recipe, or banana bread the same day you can roast the bananas in the peel in the oven..
Roasted Bananas to Ripen Fast
– How to Ripen Bananas in the Oven –
If you have a coffee cake recipe you really like, please leave a link in the comments or add your personal recipe. Would love to see what y’all like when it comes to coffee cake.
Making Homemade Banana Bread Coffee Cake with Cream Cheese Stuffing
- 2¼ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1¼ tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1¼ Tsp Cinnamon
- ½ Cup Butter / 4oz
- 2 Whole Eggs, plus one yolk
- 1 Cup of Sour Cream
- 1½ Cups of Sugar
- 4 Bananas
- Optional (2 tsp of Vanilla extract)
- ½ Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup of flour
- ½ cup of Walnuts
- 4 Tbsp of Butter (cubed, easier to mix)
- 2 tsp Cinnamon (More is ok)
- 8oz package of Cream Cheese
- ¼ Cup of Sugar
- ⅓ Cup of Cake batter (reserve)
- Optional (1 tsp of Vanilla extract)
- 1 Cup of Powdered Sugar
- Juice of two lemons
- (Optional - ½ tsp of Vanilla Extract)
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda & 1¼ Tsp cinnamon
- Using a bowl with high sides, using a hand or electric mixer, mix together (1½ Cups of Sugar)(½ cup Butter / 4oz)(cream together), next add in the 2 eggs, next follow with the 4 bananas & 1 cup of sour cream // (optional: Vanilla)
- I suggest adding the bananas straight out of the oven.
- They will be softer and mix easier.
- How to Ripen Bananas Trick: Roast bananas at 300 degrees for 30 minutes on cookie sheet then peel the bananas and add straight into the wet ingredients and mix.
- Next, combine the wet and dry ingredients, add the dry ingredients to the wet in 3rds. Try to not over mix.
- Using a springform pan, butter the pan completely and then add one tbsp of flour and cover all areas and discard the remaining flour.
- Mix the 8oz package of Cream Cheese with ⅓ cup of reserved Cake batter, ¼ Cup of Sugar. Optional (1 tsp of Vanilla extract)
- Pour in 3/5th of the cake batter and smooth out to the edges of the springform pan..
- Next, add in all of the cream cheese mix and smooth out.
- TIP: Do not work the cream cheese all the way to the edges.
- If you go all the way to the edge the cream cheese will be noticeable around the edges of the finished coffee cake.
- Cover the top of the cream cheese layer with remaining batter and smooth out, trying to completely cover the cream cheese layer. It's ok to have some of the cream cheese showing. Just not much.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, bake for one hour or until a toothpick will come out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake, making sure to push the toothpick to the bottom. That's where the raw batter will be hiding.
- Drizzle icing over the top of the cake. Start from the middle - out to the edges. Nice design