The first thing is the bananas, and the preparation to ripen them quickly. This method of ripening bananas quickly works so well I do not leave bananas on my counter for days before making peanut butter banana bread cookies any longer.
Peanut Butter Banana bread Cookies Recipe
When you do leave them on the counter what is happening is called Denaturing. The breakdown process affects foods in a number of different ways. Sometimes the effect is good, sometimes not so good. Denature too far and you have spoiled food.
How To Ripen Bananas Quickly
Start by removing the stems and the base of the bananas. Look for any stickers on the bananas and make sure they are clean.
Roast the bananas in an oven preheated to 300 degrees. Cook the bananas until they have caramelized which takes about 40 minutes. If your oven runs hot the bananas could be ready in 30 minutes. Keep an eye on them. They won't burn at that low of a temperature when cooking for such a short amount of time.
Spread the peanut butter banana bread cookies apart enough so they do not run into each other. The cookies will spread when they bake.
If you like that idea of them spreading, you could spread the batter all over the cookie sheet and create thinner cookies and cut them out into shapes you enjoy.
Peanut Butter Banana Bread Cookies with Macadamia Nuts
- 1 ⅔ cups Flour - All Purpose
- ⅓ cup Peanut Butter
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¾ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 2 whole Eggs
- 4 T Butter
- ⅓ cup Vegetable Oil enhances moistness - same with cakes
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Ripened Bananas / see above for technique
- ⅔ cup Pecans
- pinch Fresh or Dry Nutmeg / use less if dry Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Macadamia Nuts
- Turbinado Sugar
- Mixed banana, eggs, sugar, peanut butter, vegetable oil, vanilla in the kitchen aid mixer or use a hand mixer.
- Don't over mix.
- Using a sifter for the dry ingredients. Sift all dry ingredients into the mixing bowl. When combining the wet ingredients and dry be sure to not over mix or risk creating an overly dense cookie.
- Using a cookie sheet, place parchment paper in the middle. Spray with oil to help make sure the cookies do not stick.
- Sprinkle turbinado sugar on top and place the macadamia nuts all over the cookies.
- Bake @ 375 for 11 to 13 minutes. All ovens cook differently, so keep an eye on them for around 10 minutes. Tap the cookies with your finger and check the firmness.
- You can sprinkle more turbinado sugar once out of the oven.