I grew up with a mother who loves to cook. She's a southern cook. She imprinted her passion for cooking on my sister and me. Everything she makes is great. But one recipe that really sticks out for me is her banana bread recipe. I can report I’ve never had better Banana Bread than my Moms.
How To Make Banana Bread
In light of her banana bread being what I would call exquisite. I couldn't just make the original recipe. I experimented and made some additions that made sense without really changing the recipe. An example would be the Turbinado sugar crust, a small bit of baking powder, and the addition of blueberries. I know you're going to enjoy this Blueberry Banana Bread recipe.
Here’s her handwritten recipe card.
Key Tips To Perfect Blueberry Banana Bread:
- Once you add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients be careful to not over mix your batter or risk the blueberry banana bread becoming denser. When you mix for too long you will develop gluten.
- Bake for around 1 hour @375. Be sure to check on it before the hour is up. Some ovens cook quicker than others. Check with a large toothpick for doneness. Stick the toothpick into the deepest part of the cookware dish. You should see "next" to the perfectly clean toothpick when you pull it out. Cook longer if still wet.
- Major Tip: The secret to excellent blueberry banana bread is once you're done place the bread into a large plastic bag and allow it to sit on your counter for at least 12-24 hours. The flavors develop and the banana bread becomes moister. It's the darnedest thing, but it works.
- Banana bread can be frozen. Just wrap with wax paper and place it into a plastic freezer bag.
Roast 4 bananas on a cookie sheet @ 300 degrees, in a preheated oven for 40 minutes
TIP: Use parchment paper for easy clean up. The bananas natural sugars will caramelize and be very hard to clean off the cookie sheet surface.
Posts To Visit
📖 Recipe Card
Blueberry Banana Bread
- 1 ⅔ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1+ cups Roasted Bananas / About 4 bananas
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 cup White Fine Sugar
- 4 T Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- pinch Nutmeg / If using dry nutmeg be careful to not use too much. Watch Video.
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 Eggs
- ⅔ cup Pecans / Chopped
- Turbinado Sugar
- 1 cup Frozen Blueberries
Banana Prep - Oven Method
- Cut the ends off of the bananas and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Make a cut all the way down the length of the bananas. Makes for easy removal from the peel.
- Roast @ 300 degrees for 40 minutes - Roast 4 bananas
Making Blueberry Banana Bread
- First Mix The Wet IngredientsAdd the roasted bananas to the KitchenAid mixer along with the eggs, sugar, vanilla, vegetable oil. Mix until combined.
- Second Mix The Dry IngredientsUsing a sifter, (avoid lumps of flour), sift all dry ingredients over the KitchenAid mixer.Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, cinnamon,
- When you turn on the KitchenAid mixer the KEY is to not over mix. You will develop gluten and will toughen the Blueberry Banana Bread.
- Mix flour and sugar in a bowel. Measurements aren't important. Just be sure you have enough to coat the blueberries. Half & Half
- Add the frozen blueberries to the flour and sugar mix. This step will help the blueberries NOT sink to the bottom of the cookware. Skip this step if you want the blueberries to sink to the bottom
- Using a bread baking dish/cookware, spray with vegetable oil, or wipe down with a paper towel with vegetable oil. Sprinkle the turbinado sugar all over the cookware. Pour out the excess.
- Add half of the batter to the cookware.
- Next, add the blueberries. Use a much as you like.
- Then add the remaining batter.
- Do not overfill the cookware or the blueberry banana bread will extend too far upward while cooking. The bread will increase in height as it cooks. So do not overfill the cookware.
- Add turbinado sugar to the top to a nice sugar crunch
- Place in the middle of your oven. Bake for 1 hour in preheated 375 oven.Be sure to check on the banana bread during the baking. All ovens do not cook the same and timing may need to be adjusted.
- Once the timer is up to check for doneness with a toothpick. You want the toothpick to come out clean. Check the deepest part of the cookware.