How To Make
Pumpkin Roulade With Crystallized Ginger ButterCream
First add room temperature eggs, sugar and pumpkin puree to electric mixer.
Add 1/3 teaspoon of Fresh Ground Nutmeg / Use 1/4 teaspoon if using Nutmeg from a jar.
Add 1 teaspoon+ of Cinnamon
Add 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda & 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
Add 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
Chef TIP: Go purchase a new bottle at the grocery store. Over a short period the flavor softens. Buy New
Next, add the flour, salt, and sift the ingredients until everything moves through the mesh strainer.
Now add dry ingredients into the mixer with the wet ingredients. Add a little bit at a time to avoid lumps.
Spray a cookie sheet with oil, or add oil to the cookie sheet. This step is very important to the rolling of the holiday log / pumpkin roulade. Place a piece of parchment paper on top then oil or spray as well. Make sure to cover very well as this is your insurance policy for removing the cooked pumpkin roulade from the cookie sheet.
Pour the batter on top of the parchment paper and smooth it out to the edges. Lastly, tap the cookie sheet on the counter a few time to release extra air bubbles.
Bake in the preheated oven @ 375 degrees for around 12 minutes, or until you can touch the pumpkin roulade and no indention appear.
I like to remove the cooked pumpkin roulade way from the cookie sheet asap once out of the oven. Find a place on the counter and lay it down, do not remove the parchment paper yet.
While the pumpkin roulade is baking layout a kitchen towel. Place a piece of parchment paper in the middle and crimp the edges so the paper lays flat.
Sprinkle powder sugar all over the parchment paper. Cover completely.
Lay the baked pumpkin roulade down on top of the parchment paper with the powder sugar. Parchment paper side up.
Move the pumpkin roulade to the very first edge of the parchment paper.
Then continue and move the parchment paper to the edge of the kitchen towel.
Slowly roll the kitchen towel making sure the first rolls are tight. The compact rolling will insure a nice clean presentation / swirl.
Set to the side and make the cream cheese crystallized ginger filling ( Check Recipe Card Below)
Once the filling is complete unroll the pumpkin roulade and add the crystallized ginger filling. Fill almost all the way to the edges.
Roll up the pumpkin roulade with the crystallized filling.
For clean presentation, cut off the edge pieces with a knife. I like using a serrated knife.
KEY to a nice swirl: – When you begin the rolling you make sure to keep it tight with the towel.
Pumpkin Roulade with Crystallized Ginger ButterCream
- Kitchen Aid Mixer ( hand mixer works )
- Parchment Paper
- Standard Cookie Sheet Tray
- 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/3 tsp Fresh Ground Nutmeg / If using jar nutmeg reduce to 1/4 tsp
- 1 cup White Fine Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Pinch Cayenne Pepper / OPTIONAL
- 3/4 cup Pumpkin Puree / NOT Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 3 X large Eggs / Room temperature
- 1 extra Egg Yolk
- 12 ounces Cream Cheese / Room temperature
- 2 T Heavy Cream
- 1/3 cup Crystallized Ginger / Place into freezer before using / easy to chop
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 T EggNog / Replace the Heavy Cream with
- Pass the dry ingredients through a mesh strainer. Remove any lumps
- Using an electric mixer, add in the eggs and sugar then start mixing ( about 2 minutes). Then add in the pumpkin puree.
- Once combine, start adding in the sifted dry ingredients a little at a time. Mix to combine then stop. Tip: Do not over mix.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, but first, spray the cookie sheet with non-stick spray. Then add the piece of parchment paper after spraying. Next, spray on the top side of the parchment paper. The parchment paper will have been oiled/sprayed on both sides
- Next, spread out the mixed batter. Smooth out and tap on the counter a few times to remove excess air bubbles.
- Bake @ 375 for about 12 minutes or until the pumpkin roulade does not imprint with your finger.
Roling The Roulade / Holiday Log / Swiss Roll / Jelly Roll WITHOUT Cracks
- First, you have an already sprayed cookie sheet. Then placed a piece of parchment paper on top of the sprayed cookie sheet.
- Spray the top of that parchment paper as well, then pour in the prepared batter and smooth it out. Tap on the counter a few times to remove excess air bubbles.
- KEY: once out of the oven, remove the pumpkin roulade from the cookie sheet and place on a counter top. Do NOT remove the parchment paper from the cooked cake.
- Layout a kitchen towel flat. Then lay a clean piece of parchment paper in the middle of the towel. Fold back the parchment paper edges so it will lay flat. Next sprinkle powder sugar on top of the parchment paper and cover the entire piece.
- KEY: Move the cooked pumpkin roulade cake. Place it on top of the parchment paper with the powder sugar. Peel away the parchment paper. Add the buttercream filling and spread out all over.
- Move the cooked cake to the edge of the parchment paper underneath. Line it up perfectly. Next slide that to the very edge of the kitchen towel.
- Begin rolling, slowly, somewhat tightly to create a nice spiral presentation.
- Cut of a piece from both ends for a clean plating appearance