Baked Chicken Taquitos Verde Sauce
Baked Chicken Taquitos with Verde sauce is just plain simple and delicious. The use of bright and vibrant Tomatillo sauce really makes this dish. Verde sauce, also known as green sauce is made from a main ingredient of Tomatillos.
Verde tranlates to “Green” in Spanish.
What Exactly Are Tomatillo’s
Here’s a picture of a freshly picked Tomatillo. The Tomatillo fruit is surrounded by an inedible, paper-like husk formed from the calyx. As the fruit matures, it fills the husk and can split open by harvest. The husk turns brown, and the fruit can be several colors when ripe, including yellow, green, or even purple. The freshness and greenness of the husk are quality criteria.
Baked Chicken Taquitos w/ Verde Sauce
The tomatillo (Physalis philadelphica), also known as the Mexican husk tomato, is a plant of the nightshade family bearing small, spherical and green or green-purple fruit of the same name. Tomatillos originated in Mexico and were cultivated in the pre-Columbian era. A staple of Mexican cuisine, they are eaten raw or cooked in a variety of dishes, particularly salsa verde.
How To Make Baked Chicken Taquito’s with Verde/Tomatillo Sauce
First order of business is the chicken. In the video, I used a store bought rotisserie chicken. Most grocery stores offer fully cooked chickens for around $7 to $10. A true time saver. But if you’re like me, you enjoy cooking your own chicken. There are a bunch of ways to cook a whole chicken. Here’s Butter-n-Thyme’s Perfect Roast Chicken recipe with step by step instructions. If you try this recipe please come back and leave a comment telling us how much you loved the perfect roast chicken recipe 🙂 There are thousands of recipes for roast chicken online. This is honesly the only one you will ever need 🙂
The average roaster chicken is around 6 to 7 pounds. For this recipe I used all the parts of the chicken.
You could subsitute whichever is your favorite part of the chicken and shred the chicken into manageable bites size pieces.
Julienne Cut & Brunoise Cut
Prepping the Red Bell Pepper
When cooking, it’s good to be thinking about the end product you are creating. What will the mouth feel be like?
Will it be easy enough to eat?
This is where knife skills come into play. Making sure to cut everything evenly, so to ensure for even cooking time.
In the video, you’ll see exactly how to cut the Red Bell Pepper.
Plan Ahead Weeknight Dinner Plans
After rolling the Taquito‘s, place them into a casserole dish and cover with plastic wrap. Place the cassrole dish into the refrigerator untill your ready to have an easy weeknight dinner. Just preheat your oven to 425 degrees and bake for 10 minutes. The type of tortilla I used is a mix of corn and flour. You should be able to find these in your grocery store. First, they are easier to roll up and second they offer the best of both worlds when it comes to tortillas & texture.
Baked Chicken Taquitos w/ Verde SaucePrint Pin Rate
- 2 Cups of Cooked Chicken Recipe for Perfect Roast Chicken found above in post You can use your favorite parts of the chicken
- 1/2 Cup of Corn You can use fresh or canned
- 1/2 Cup of canned Black Beans Rinse under water in a strainer
- 1/2 of a medium Onion - sliced/julienned long strips, or your favorite way to cut onion
- 2 Tbsps of Fresh Cilantro
- 1/2 Cups of favorite cheese We used Cojita Cheese
- 1 Tsp of Sea Salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper To taste
- Corn tortillas Look for mix of Flour & Corn tortillas
Verde/Tomatillo Sauce Ingredients
- 8 Tomatillo's
- 1 Poblano
- 1/2 Medium Onion
- 2 Tbsp of Cilantro
- 2 Tbsp of Creamed Corn
- 1/3 of one Large Green Apple
- First roast chicken, or remove meat from grocery store rotisserie chicken.
- Add to large mixing bowl, then adding the corn, onion, black beans, cilantro, cheese, salt, and pepper. Mix well
- Lay one tortilla flat and add mix into the middle, then pull one side over on top of the tortilla and repeat with the other side creating a long toob. Secure with toothpicks, or place the seam side underneath using the weight of the taquito to hold it's space. ( Watch video for clarification )
Making the Verde Sauce
- Add all ingredients to blender/food processor and blend until smooth.
Cooking the Taquitos
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Cook Taquitos for 10 minutes. If your oven runs hot, cook for 7 to 8 minutes and check for crispy outside texture.