Teriyaki Beef Sirloin Instant Pot
Have you ever had the pleasure of cooking and eating Sirloin Flap Beef? It is a cut of beef that is becoming more mainstream by each passing year. I personally love it. The Sirloin Flap looks just like Waygu beef from Japan. So beautiful and highly marbled. Now, if your not into fatty cuts of beef, no worries. This recipe doe not end up fatty one bit. The fat renders perfectly in the Instant Pot. The first time I cooked Sirloin Flap in the Instant Pot I was shocked.
The value of the “Instant Pot” is it cooks food quicker than traditional cooking methods. For this recipe, we will be using the pressure cooker setting. When dealing with fattier cuts of meat you’d think you would need longer cooking times to render the fat. I can tell you the fat renders beautifully and flavors the meat just like basting the meat as it cooks. #Perfection.
If you own an Instant Pot you’ve most likely cooked a pot roast at some point. Turns out great. Yet, still takes a long time to braise low and slow. I can tell cooking Sirloin Flap in the Instant Pot under pressure is nothing short of amazing. Best part, it only takes 25 minutes plus the time to pressurize the Instant Pot.
How To Cook Sirloin In The Instant Pot
Key Note: Make sure the Sirloin Flap meat isn’t’ ice cold straight out of the refrigerator going straight into the Instant Pot.
First, Season the Sirloin Flap. I like using Himalayan salt
Himalayan salt has over 50 elements from the periodic table. A powerhouse of things your body needs and wants. #healthy
I suggest you convert over to Himalayan salt. The second type of salt I like using is sea salt. Then finally Kocher salt / aka Chef Salt
After salting the Sirloin Flap, our next step is adding some oil to the outside of the Sirloin Flap. This will help the Dry Rub stick.
If you would like access to my BBQ Dry Rub you can get it on this YouTube video we offer
Photo: Adding oil to the Sirloin Flap
Add a generous amount of the Dry Rub or your favorite dry rub. Choice one you like with Beef.
Place the roasting rack in the bottom of the instant pot – We do not want the liquid we are about to add to touch the Sirloin Flap while it cooks
Add 1 ¼ Cups of Water – Plus 3 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce
Place the sirloin flap into the Instant Pot
Secure The Instant Pot Lid & Make Sure The Valve Is Set To Sealing ( Very Important )
Instant Pot Cooker Settings
Set the Instant Pot to the Pressure setting "Meat/Stew", Normal Pressure / Timer 25 Minutes
Meanwhile, as the Instant Pot is cooking we are going to make a homemade Teriyaki sauce. mmm
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sake
- ⅓ cup mirin (rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon grated shallot
The key to getting the right Teriyaki sauce consistency is cooking the sauce on the stovetop. As the sauce heats it will start to thicken.
Take note of the pressure indicator. When the Instant Pot is fully pressurized and not safe to open you'll notice the gauge pushed outward.
NOT SAFE TO OPEN
SAFE TO OPEN
Next, remove the Sirloin Flap from the Instant Pot and paint on some of the Teriyaki sauce
You need to allow the meat to rest before slicing, or all the juices will run out and the meat will become dry. This RULE goes for all cuts of beef. 3 to 5 minutes for 1 to 2 pound cut.
Slice Against The Grain For Maximum Tenderness
Teriyaki Beef Sirloin Flap Instant Pot
- 1 to 2 pounds Sirloin Flap /source= Whole Foods
- Himalayan Salt /or Sea Salt / enough to cover meat
- BBQ Dry Rub / enough to cover meat
- 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 cup Soy Sauce
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Sake / Japanese Rice Wine
- ⅓ cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp Shallot / fine minced
- 1 tsp Ginger / fine minced
- ⅓ cup Water
- First step: Take the meat out of the refrigerator and allow to come close to room temperature. 5 minutes. It's ok for the meat to have a slight chill when going into the Instant Pot.Salt the Sirloin Flap. Use enough to cover the entire piece of meat. I suggest using Himalayan SaltThen using a brush, paint on some oil like canola oil. This will help the seasoning stick. Add the bbq dry rub. Add enough to cover the entire piece of meat. Allowing the meat to sit awhile with the dry rub on will help flavor the meat more.
- Add 1 ¼ cups of water to the Instant Pot alongside 3+ tablespoons of soy sauce.
Instant Pot Cook Settings
- Using the pressure cooker setting "Meat/Stew", Under normal heat, & set timer for 20 to 25 minutes. 20 minutes for more medium rare
- The Instant Pot will pressurize fairly quickly and the timer will start to count down.
- Once the timer goes off, allow the vent valve to release the pressure. Quick release. You do not want to slow release or risk overcooking the meat. After the Instant Pot lid is off. ( Safe to open the lid once the metal pressure indicator fails back into the Instant Pot -
- Next paint of a nice coat of Teriyaki sauce. Do this quickly as the meat starts to rest a minimum of 5 minutes before slicing the Teriyaki sauce will soak into the meat adding great depth of flavor.
- KEY: After resting the meat, slice "against" the grain for maximum tenderness.