Many different Types of Flour can be used in baking and culinary creations. Most flours are made from grains, such as wheat, barley, or rye. However, there are also some flours that are made from other ingredients, such as nuts or legumes.
A finer flour like cake flour will produce lighter and fluffier results, a coarser flour such as whole wheat flour will give the baked good a heartier flavor and denser texture.
In general, all-purpose flour is a good middle-of-the-road option that can be used for most types of baking.
Here is a list of some common types of flour and their uses:
⬇️ Table of Contents
- Acorn Flour
- All Purpose Flour
- Almond Flour
- Amaranth Flour
- Apple Flour
- Arrowroot Flour
- Banana Flour
- Barley Flour
- Bean Flour
- Bran Flour
- Bread Flour
- Buckwheat Flour
- Bulgar Wheat Flour
- Cake Flour
- Cashew Flour
- Cassava Flour
- Chestnut Flour
- Chickpea Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Corn Flour
- Cricket Flour
- Eikorn Flour
- Graham Flour
- Kamut Flour
- Lentil Flour
- Lupin Flour
- Millet Flour
- Oat Flour
- Pastry Flour
- Peanut Flour
- Potato Flour
- Pumpkin Flour
- Quinoa Flour
- Rice Flour
- Rye Flour
- Self-Raising Flour
- Sesame Flour
- Soy Flour
- Spelt Flour
- Sprouted Ragi Flour
- Sunflower Seed Flour
- Tapioca Flour
- Teff Flour
- Tigernut Flour
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Vital Wheat Gluten
Acorn Flour is a type of flour that is made from acorns. Acorns are the fruits of the oak tree and have been used as a food source for centuries. The acorn contains a high amount of starch, which makes it a good choice for baking.
Acorn flour can be found in health food stores or online. It is important to make sure that the acorn flour you purchase is fresh. When stored properly, acorn flour will keep for up to six months.
Acorn flour can be a replacement ingredient for all-purpose flour in many recipes.
Uses pancakes, waffles, cookies, and cakes. When baking with acorn flour, it is important to keep in mind that the flour will absorb more liquid than all-purpose flour. This means that could need to add additional liquid to your recipes.
What are the health benefits of acorn flour?
- high in fiber, helps regulate digestion.
- high in antioxidants, protects the body against free radicals and oxidative damage.
- gluten-free, making it a good choice for people who are gluten intolerant or have celiac disease.
- high in protein
- has a low glycemic index, which means it won't cause spikes in blood sugar levels.
Overall, acorn flour is a healthier choice than many other types of flour and can be used in a variety of recipes.
All Purpose Flour
All-Purpose Flour is made up of two different types of wheat: hard red winter wheat and soft red winter wheat. Hard red winter wheat has a higher gluten content than soft red winter wheat, which is why it's better for creating structure in baked goods. All-purpose flour also contains a small amount of malted barley flour, which gives it a slightly sweet flavor.
When baking with all-purpose flour, remember that the gluten content will vary depending on the brand. For this reason, it's always a good idea to test out a few different brands before settling on one. Some all-purpose flours are also bleached, which means that they've been treated with chemicals to make them whiter in color. While this doesn't affect the taste or quality of the flour, some people prefer to use unbleached flour for their baking needs.
Give our Blueberry Banana Bread made with all-purpose flour a try.
Almond Flour is a type of flour made from finely ground almonds. It is a popular ingredient in gluten-free and low-carbohydrate baking.
Almond flour is rich in nutrients, including vitamin E, magnesium, copper, phosphorus, and manganese
There are several benefits to using almond flour in baking, including:
- Almond flour can help to make baked goods more moist and tender.
- Lends a nutty flavor to baked goods.
- Can help to make baked goods more stable and less likely to crumble.
What are the health benefits of almond flour?
Almond flour is naturally gluten-free and is a good option for those who are gluten-sensitive or have celiac disease.
- Almond flour is high in healthy fats, protein, and fiber.
- Low in carbohydrates and can help to reduce the glycemic load of a meal.
- Almond flour can help lower your cholesterol and improve your cardiovascular health.
- Almond flour can help regulate blood sugar levels and provide lasting energy throughout the day.
- Almond flour is also rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that can boost your overall health.
Recipe To Try Using Almond Flour: KETO BREAD Recipe | Only 1g Carb Per Slice
Amaranth Flour is a type of flour that is derived from the amaranth grain. Amaranth flour has a number of potential health benefits, including its high fiber content and its ability to provide protein and essential nutrients. Additionally, amaranth flour is gluten-free, which makes it a good option for gluten intolerant people who have celiac disease.
What are the health benefits of amaranth flour?
- Amaranth flour is high in fiber, which can help promote regularity and good digestive health.
- good source of protein, providing about 8 grams per serving.
- good source of iron, magnesium, and calcium.
- Amaranth flour has a nutty flavor that can add depth and interest to baked goods and other recipes.
Amaranth flour is a healthy and nutritious alternative to other types of flour, and it can be used in a variety of recipes.
Apple Flour is a type of flour that is made from grinding apples. This makes it a good source of dietary fiber and antioxidants. Additionally, apple flour may help to lower cholesterol levels. Apple flour can be found in some grocery stores or online.
How do I use apple flour?
Apple flour can be used in many different recipes, such as cakes, muffins, or breads. It can also be used to make gluten-free flour. Simply substitute apple flour for some or all of the regular flour in your recipe. Be sure to check the recipe's cooking time and temperature, as apple flour may bake differently than other flours.
What are the health benefits of apple flour?
It has several health benefits, including the following:
- good source of dietary fiber and antioxidants. It may also help to lower cholesterol levels.
- high in fiber, which can help with digestion and weight loss.
- low in calories and carbs
- rich in antioxidants, helping to protect against disease.
- high in vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, potassium, and magnesium. These nutrients can promote good health and well-being.
Arrowroot is a starch derived from the rhizomes of multiple tropical plants, including Maranta arundinacea. Native to South America, now grown in many tropical countries.
Arrowroot flour has a light, slightly sweet flavor and can be used in baking or as a thickener for soups and sauces.
It can be used in place of cornstarch or wheat flour.
It is also high in potassium and magnesium.
- good source of dietary fiber.
- can help to regulate blood sugar levels.
- rich in vitamins and minerals, including potassium, magnesium, and zinc.
- help to improve digestion and promote gut health.
- may have anti-inflammatory properties and could help to reduce the risk of certain chronic diseases.
Banana Flour is a type of flour made from green bananas. It is a gluten-free flour that is high in resistant starch, which is a type of dietary fiber. Banana flour can be used in many recipes as a substitute for wheat or other grain-based flour.
To make banana flour, green bananas are first peeled and then dried. The dried bananas are then ground into a fine powder. One cup of green bananas yields about one cup of banana flour.
Banana flour can be used in many recipes, such as pancakes, muffins, cookies, and cakes. Banana flour has a mild taste and can be used in both sweet and savory recipes.
Resistant starch is a type of carbohydrate that humans cannot digest. It doesn't get turned into glucose. Resistant starch has been shown to gut health.
Barley Flour is a type of flour that is made from barley grain. Barley has a high protein content, ideal for baking breads and other baked goods. It is also high in fiber, which can help to regulate digestion. Additionally, barley flour is a good source of vitamins and minerals, including iron, magnesium, and zinc.
Barley flour is relatively easy to make at home. To do so, simply grind barley grain in a food processor or coffee grinder until it forms a fine powder. Alternatively, you can purchase pre-ground barley flour from most health food stores.
There are many benefits to incorporating barley flour into your diet. For one, it can help to boost energy levels and improve stamina. Additionally, barley flour is a good source of essential vitamins and minerals, making it a valuable addition to any diet. Finally, barley flour can help to regulate digestion and prevent constipation.
Bean Flour is a type of flour made from ground dried beans and is a common ingredient in many cuisines. It can be used as a thickener or binding agent in recipes, or as a breading for fried foods. Bean flour is a healthy, versatile ingredient that can be used in both sweet and savory recipes.
Bean flour can be found in most grocery stores, either in the baking aisle or the natural foods section. Bean flour can be made at home by grinding dried beans in a food processor or blender.
When using bean flour in place of wheat flour, it is important to keep in mind that it will absorb more liquid than wheat flour. As a result, you may need to add a little more liquid to your recipe. You can also experiment with different types of beans to create different flavors and textures in your flour.
Bran Flour is a type of flour that is made from the bran, or outer layer, of wheat kernels. It is usually coarser than other types of flour and has a higher fiber content. Bran flour can be used in many different recipes, including bread, muffins, and pancakes.
When baking with bran flour, it is important to keep a few things in mind. First, because it is coarser than other flours, you may need to use more bran flour to achieve the desired consistency. Second, because it has high fiber content, it can absorb more liquid than other types of flour.
Bread Flour is a type of flour that is specifically designed for baking bread. It is made from hard wheat, which has a high protein content. This makes it ideal for baking bread, as the higher protein content gives the dough more structure and helps it to rise better.
Bread flour is available in most supermarkets, it is also possible to buy it online. When buying bread flour, it is important to check the packaging to make sure that it is suitable for baking bread. Some flours are not suitable for baking bread, and they will not produce the same results.
Bread flour is sometimes called strong flour, and it is the most common type of flour used for baking bread. The high protein content gives the dough more structure and helps it to rise better.
- The white variety has 11-13%, while whole wheat Bread flour can have up to 14%.
- The higher protein in bread flour means it's best for making loaves, but not cookies.
Buckwheat Flour is a type of flour that is made from buckwheat groats. The groats are milled into a fine powder and then used to make various types of foods. Buckwheat flour is known for its nutritional value and has a variety of uses.
Buckwheat is a type of plant that is related to rhubarb and sorrel. The flour is light brown in color and has a nutty flavor.
What are some tips for using buckwheat flour?
Buckwheat flour can be used in place of all-purpose flour in most recipes. When baking with buckwheat flour, it is important to add extra liquid to the recipe, as the flour is absorbent. Additionally, buckwheat flour should be stored in a cool, dry place.
What are the health benefits of buckwheat flour?
Buckwheat flour has many health benefits:
- high in fiber
- high in antioxidants
- Buckwheat flour is gluten-free, making it a good choice for people who have celiac disease or are gluten-intolerant.
Bulgar Wheat Flour
Bulgur Wheat Flour is a type of whole wheat flour that is made from the grinding of dried, cracked wheat berries, then dried and ground into a fine powder.
It has a slightly nutty flavor and can be used in a variety of recipes in place of other types of flour. Bulgur flour can be found in most health food stores or online.
Bulgur flour is a good source of fiber and protein, and it is also low in fat. This makes it an ideal choice for those who are looking to add more whole grains to their diet. Whole grains have been linked with a number of health benefits, including reducing the risk of heart disease and diabetes.
In addition to being a healthy option, bulgur flour can also add a flavor to recipes that are not found in other types of flour. This makes it a great choice for those who are looking to experiment with new flavors in their baking. Bulgur flour can be used in place of all-purpose flour, or it can be used as a partial substitution.
When it comes to baking, cake flour is often thought of as the gold standard. This is because it produces cakes that are tender and moist with a fine crumb structure. If you're looking to bake a show-stopping cake, then cake flour is definitely the way to go!
Ensuring the quality of your cake flour is important to the success of your baking. There are a few key things to look for when purchasing cake flour:
- The protein content should be between 8 and 10 percent
- It should be milled from soft wheat
- It should be bleached
One thing to keep in mind is that cake flour can go bad if it's not stored properly. Be sure to keep it in an airtight container and away from moisture to prevent it from going rancid.
Cashew Flour is a type of gluten-free flour that is made from ground cashews. It has a sweet, nutty flavor and a fine, powdery texture. Cashew flour is high in protein and fiber, and it also contains healthy fats, minerals, and vitamins.
The cashew tree is native to Brazil, but the nuts are now grown in tropical regions around the world. The tree produces a fruit that contains a large seed, which is what we know as the cashew nut.
Cashews were first introduced to Europe by Portuguese traders in the 16th century.
Here are some of the pros and cons of using cashew flour:
- Cashew flour is high in protein and fiber, which makes it a good choice for people who are looking for a healthy alternative to wheat flour.
- Cashew flour is a good source of essential minerals, including magnesium, potassium, and zinc.
- It also contains beneficial vitamins, such as vitamin A, B vitamins, and vitamin E.
- Cashew flour is gluten-free, so it is a good option for people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
- Cashew flour is also low in carbohydrates, making it a suitable choice for people on a low-carb diet.
- Cashew flour can be expensive compared to other types of gluten-free flour.
- It can be challenging to find cashew flour in stores, so you may need to order it online.
- Cashew flour has a strong flavor that some people may not enjoy.
- Because it is high in fat, cashew flour can go rancid quickly if it is not stored properly.
Cassava Flour is a type of flour made from the root of the cassava plant. It is also known as yuca root flour.
Cassava flour is high in fiber and resistant starch, which means it is slowly digested and helps you feel full longer. It is also a good source of vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, potassium, and magnesium.
Cassava flour is a gluten-free, grain-free flour that can be used in many different recipes. It has a slightly nutty flavor and can be used in place of other flours in baking or cooking.
1. High in fiber and resistant starch, which means it is slowly digested and helps you feel full longer.
2. Good source of vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, potassium, and magnesium.
3. Cassava flour is gluten-free and grain-free, so it is a good option for people with gluten sensitivities or allergies.
4. It has a slightly nutty flavor, which can be used in place of other flours in baking or cooking.
5. Easy to digest and can be tolerated by people who have trouble digesting other types of flour.
6. It is a good option for people who are following a paleo or grain-free diet.
Chestnut Flour is a unique and popular choice among top chefs for its light taste and fine powder. It is slightly sweet in flavor and results in a desirable characteristic, perfect for lighter-tasting cakes, cookies, or pancakes.
Chestnut flour has distinct advantages over other flours because it is low in carbohydrates and high in fiber. Additionally, chestnut flour is a good source of vitamins and minerals, including iron, potassium, and magnesium.
Chickpea Flour is made from chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans. It's a staple ingredient in many Indian and Middle Eastern dishes, and it's becoming more popular in Western cooking as well.
Chickpea flour has a nutty flavor and a slightly grainy texture. It can be used in place of wheat flour in recipes, or you can use it to make gluten-free breads and other baked goods. Chickpea flour is high in protein and fiber, and it's a good source of iron. You can find chickpea flour in the ethnic food aisle of your grocery store, or you can order it online.
Coconut Flour is made from the dried, grated meat of a coconut. It’s high in fiber, protein, and healthy fats, and it has a mild, nutty flavor. Coconut flour can be used to make pancakes, bread, muffins, and other baked goods. It’s also popular in gluten-free baking.
- Coconut flour is a good source of dietary fiber, with 11 grams per one-ounce serving. Fiber is important for gut health, and it can help to keep you feeling full after eating.
- Contains 5 grams of protein per one-ounce serving, which is a good amount for plant-based food. Protein is important for muscle health and repairing tissue.
- Coconut flour is high in healthy fats, with a total of 17 grams per one-ounce serving. These healthy fats include lauric acid, which has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.
- Coconut flour also contains omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for heart health.
Corn Flour is made from ground corn. Corn flour is a versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of recipes. It is a good alternative to wheat flour for those with gluten sensitivities or allergies.
When baking with corn flour, it is important to add additional liquid to the recipe as corn flour is not as absorbent as wheat flour. Additionally, corn flour does not rise as much as wheat flour, so baked goods made with cornflour may be denser than those made with wheat flour.
Cricket Flour is made from cricket pods. The cricket pods are roasted and then ground into flour.
When it comes to cricket flour, science has shown that this food product is a highly nutritious and protein-rich alternative to conventional flour. In fact, cricket flour contains more protein than wheat or soy flour, making it an excellent choice for those looking to boost their protein intake. Additionally, cricket flour is a good source of iron, calcium, and other essential nutrients.
While cricket flour may not be a traditional flour, it is quickly gaining popularity due to its nutritional benefits. If you are looking for a nutritious and protein-rich alternative to conventional flour, cricket flour is a great option to consider.
Einkorn Flour is a variety of wheat flour that is believed to be one of the first types that humans cultivated. Einkorn wheat is making something of a comeback in recent years as more people learn about its history and unique flavor. Initially grown in the Fertile Crescent more than 10,000 years ago
- The word einkorn is German for "one grain"
- einkorn wheat has a taste similar to regular white flour
- tastes - slightly nutty taste, sweeter compared to traditional wheat flour
Graham Flour is a wheat flour named after Reverend Sylvester Graham, who promoted it in the early 19th century as part of his dietary regimen. It is made by grinding the entire wheat berry, including the bran and germ. Graham believed that the wheat berry was the key to healthy living and that grinding it into flour would preserve its nutrients.
Graham flour is coarser than most other types of wheat flour and has a stronger flavor. It is used in some baking recipes, such as graham crackers, but can also be used in savory dishes.
Kamut Flour is a whole grain flour that is made from the ancient grain, Kamut.
It is a whole grain flour, meaning that it contains the bran, germ, and endosperm of the grain. Kamut flour has a nutty flavor and a slightly chewy texture.
Kamut flour is rich in nutrients and has a variety of health benefits.
Top Benefits of Kamut Flour:
- high in fiber which can help to regulate digestion and promote regularity.
- good source of protein, essential for muscle growth and repair.
- helps to lower cholesterol/heart health.
- has a low glycemic index, making it a good choice for diabetics or those watching their blood sugar levels.
- gluten-free, making it a good option for those with gluten sensitivities or allergies.
- high in antioxidants, which can help to protect against cell damage and aging.
- Kamut flour is available in both organic and non-organic varieties.
It is also a good source of minerals, including:
- vitamin B6
Lentil Flour is a small seed from the legume family which has been ground into an almost powdery consistency.
Lentil flour is a type of high protein and fiber content grain that can be used in place or other whole wheat-based ingredients. It has an earthy flavor that pairs well with breads, pancakes & pastries thanks to its nutty undertones.
Perfect for those who want more variety when it comes down to their baking flours!
How to use Lentil flour?
To use lentil flour, you can substitute it for other flours in recipes. If a recipe calls for 1 cup of wheat flour, you can use ½ cup of lentil flour and ½ cup of wheat flour.
Lupin Flour is made from the lupin bean. The lupin bean is a member of the legume family and is native to the Mediterranean region.
Lupin flour has a high protein content, making it a popular choice for baking and cooking. Lupin flour can be used in place of wheat flour in recipes, or it can be blended with wheat flour to create a unique flavor and texture. Lupin flour is available in both white and whole wheat varieties.
Health Benefits of Lupin Flour:
- Lupin flour is rich in protein, which is essential for building and repairing tissues, organs, and muscles.
- Good source of fiber, which can help to promote digestive health and prevent constipation.
- Helps to regulate blood sugar levels, making it a good choice for people with diabetes or prediabetes.
- Lupin flour is gluten-free, making it a good option for people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
- Good source of antioxidants, which can help to protect the body from damage caused by free radicals.
Millet Flour is made from ground millet, a small round grain that is a staple food in many parts of the world. Millet is an ancient grain that was farmed nearly 10,000 years ago and is mentioned in many ancient texts.
Millet flour is gluten-free and has a sweet flavor. It can be used in baking or as a thickener for soups and stews.
Millet flour is a great source of protein, essential amino acids, and dietary fiber. Millet flour is also an excellent source of manganese, phosphorus, and magnesium.
Millet flour is available in most health food stores and online.
It can be stored in a pantry or cupboard for up to six months.
Oat Flour is made by grinding oatmeal on stones and sifting out the fine material. Oat flour is also obtained as a by-product of groat cutting.
“Whole oat flour is produced 100% groats, or from products derived without material loss from whole groats, by stabilizing and size reduction.
Oat flour can be used in a variety of recipes, including pancakes, waffles, biscuits, muffins, and breads. Oat flour is a good source of dietary fiber and protein. Oat flour can be found in most health food stores.
Pastry Flour is low protein flour milled from soft white wheat, making it ideal for tender baked goods like pastry and pie dough. Use this enriched, unbleached flour to c
Pastry flour is a type of flour that is made from soft wheat. It has a lower protein content than all-purpose flour, which makes it ideal for baked goods that are delicate and need to be light and fluffy. Examples of these kinds of baked goods include pies, pastries, cakes, and cookies.
The health benefits of pastry flour are many. For one, it is a good source of fiber. It also contains vitamins and minerals such as iron, magnesium, and potassium. Additionally, pastry flour is low in saturated fat and cholesterol and is a good choice for those who are health-conscious.
What makes pastry flour different from other types of flour is the way it is milled. To mill pastry flour, the wheat is first sifted to remove the bran and the germ. This leaves only the endosperm, which is the part of the wheat kernel that contains the majority of the carbohydrates. The endosperm is then ground into a fine powder to create pastry flour.
Pastry flour is the secret to light and fluffy pie pastry creations.
Recipe To Try Using Pastry Flour: Blueberry Cake | Where Has This Been All My Life?
Peanut Flour is made by converting the legumes(peanuts aren't a real nut) into peanut butter before being ground up and pressed, grinding low-carb peanuts into a paste and then pressing it until all that's left are dried pieces with minimal fat content.
If you’re on the keto diet, peanut flour can be a great source of protein.
- It is a high-protein, gluten-free flour that can be used in place of wheat flour in many recipes.
- Peanut flour has a strong peanut flavor and aroma, so it is best used in baked goods or other recipes where this flavor would be complementary.
- used to make pancakes, waffles, muffins, cookies, and other baked goods. It can also be used as a coating for chicken or fish.
- Peanut flour is available in natural and roasted varieties. It is also available in different levels of grind, from coarse to fine.
- should be stored in a cool, dry place. It can be refrigerated or frozen to extend its shelf life.
Most of us have heard about the benefits of eating potatoes. They are a great source of potassium, vitamin C and fiber. But what if you don't want to eat potatoes? The good news is that there's another way to enjoy all those same benefits: potato flour!
Potato Flour is made from dried, ground-up potatoes. This makes it a great alternative for people who are on a gluten-free diet. But that's not the only benefit of potato flour. It's also a great way to add moisture to baked goods.
Some of the benefits of using potato flour include:
- one cup of potato flour contains about 600 calories.
- natural thickener for soups and stews
- adding a small amount to gluten-free recipes gives them a more tender crumb
- simple way for bakers to create a moist yeast bread (with excellent shelf life)
- the starch in potatoes attracts and holds water, and helps to increase the moisture content in baked goods.
- high in fiber
Pumpkin Flour is made from dried, ground pumpkin. It's a bit coarser than other flours, so it may take some getting used to if you're used to working with finer flours.
As pumpkin flesh is naturally high in moisture, pumpkin flour typically contains around 10-12% moisture. This relatively low moisture content makes pumpkin flour an ideal choice for baked goods.
The pumpkin is then ground into a powder using a food processor or grinder. It can be used to make pancakes, cakes, muffins, breads, and other baked goods.
- can also be used as a thickener for soups and sauces
- good source of vitamins A and C
- high in fiber
- low in calories
Quinoa Flour comes from a unique grain that has been an integral part of the Andean diet for centuries. Its high protein content made it very valuable in ancient times when people lacked meat to sustain themselves during hard winters with little food available.
- Quinoa flour is made by grinding the quinoa grains into minute particles to get flour.
- It has an earthy, nutty flavor with a slightly yellow color
- Gluten-Free. The best practice is to wash off the quinoa before cooking
- Quinoa flour has become popular in recent years because of its versatility as a baking substitute.
It can be used for baking or cooking purposes because it cooks up softer than other types of whole grain.
What are the Health Benefits?
Quinoa is a superfood due to the fact it contains more protein than any other grain or seed (about 14-18% by weight). All 9 amino acids make a complete protein. Excellent dietary addition for vegetarians looking to increase their intake of animal-free protein sources.
What are the Uses?
Quinoa flour can be used in many recipes as a wheat flour replacement, and it's also excellent for making gluten-free breads, pastries, and other baked goods.
White Rice Flour is made from milled white rice and has a fine, powdery texture. It is the most versatile type of rice flour and can be used in a variety of recipes, including cakes, cookies, breads, and pastries.
Brown Rice Flour is made from milled brown rice and has a slightly coarser texture than white rice flour. It works well in baked goods that require a little extra structure, such as muffins and quick breads.
Sweet Rice Flour is made from glutinous rice, which is a special type of rice that is high in starch and has a sticky texture. It is used in recipes that require a chewy or sticky texture, such as Asian-inspired dishes and desserts. Glutinous rice flour can also be used to thicken sauces and soups.
- Brown Rice flour is made from whole grains of rice and is high in fiber and nutrients.
- White Rice flour is made from the husks of milled rice and is low in fiber and nutrients.
- Glutinous Rice flour is made from sticky, short-grain rice and is used to make glutinous dishes like dumplings and noodles.
-It is used to make batters, doughs, and as a fried coating.
-Rice flour is a good alternative for people with gluten allergies or celiac disease.
-It can be found in most supermarkets.
Rye Flour is a type of flour made from rye grain. It is most commonly used in bread making, as it gives the bread a hearty and nutty flavor.
There are two types of rye flour: light and dark.
- Light rye flour is made from the inner part of the rye berry,
- Dark rye flour is made from the outer bran layer.
Light rye flour has a finer texture and contains more starch than dark rye flour.
Rye flour is not as common as other types of flour, so it may be difficult to find in stores. However, it can be ordered online. Rye flour is high in fiber and contains essential nutrients like magnesium, potassium, and vitamin B6. It is also a good source of protein.
How to use rye flour:
Rye flour can be used in any recipe that calls for flour. It can be used to make bread, rolls, muffins, pancakes, and waffles. It can also be used in pie crusts and other pastry recipes.
Health benefits of rye flour:
Rye flour is a good source of fiber, which is important for gut health. It also contains important nutrients like magnesium, potassium, and vitamin B6. Rye flour may also help to lower cholesterol levels and blood sugar levels.
Self-Raising Flour is a type of flour that has been pre-mixed with baking powder. It is commonly used in baking, as it helps to create a light and fluffy end result.
As self-raising flour contains baking powder, it can help to regulate blood pressure and improve circulation. The wheat germ present in the flour provides essential vitamins and minerals, such as zinc, magnesium and vitamin E.
Sesame Flour is a common ingredient in many cultures, dating back to ancient Egypt. The seeds have been used as early as 1500 BC, spread by traders across Asia, before spreading further through Middle East populations centuries later, then around 1000 AD, when they made their way into the Mediterranean.
This flour is created by grinding up sesame seeds into a fine powder. The lightness of the grind makes it able to replicate regular wheat in many recipes, with an added boost from being enriched with nutrients such as calcium and iron.
Soy Flour is a high-protein, gluten-free flour made from a defatted soybean meal that creates a fine powder. Often used in vegetarian and vegan cooking for the very high protein content of 50%.
People often think soy flour is for soy sauce or tofu, but it turns out soy flour has some amazing health benefits that you may not know about.
Here are some of the best ways soy flour can benefit your diet:
- soy flour is a good source of plant-based protein with all nine essential amino acids
- soy contains antioxidants that may help prevent cancer
- use as a substitute for regular wheat flour to create delicious gluten-free baked goods like muffins, scones and pancakes
- a little goes a long way too. Just ¼ cup of soy will give you about 10 grams of protein.
Soy flour is a valuable addition to any kitchen.
The spelt grain has been enjoyed by humans for centuries, and the Spelt Flour made from it is a popular choice today. Spelt flour is high in protein and contains more vitamins, minerals, and fiber than white flour.
It has a nutty flavor that some people prefer over white flour. Spelt flour can be used in many of the same recipes as white flour, but it may need a little extra liquid since it is denser than white flour. Spelt flour is available at most health food stores.
Sprouted Ragi Flour
Sprouted Ragi Flour is a nutritious and healthy flour made from sprouted Ragi (Finger Millet) grains. It is rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber.
Sprouted Ragi flour has a nutty flavor and is perfect for making pancakes, muffins, breads, cookies, cakes and other desserts. It is also gluten-free and therefore ideal for people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
- high in iron
- good source of protein
- packed with essential amino acid
Sunflower Seed Flour
Sunflower Seed Flour is made from, you guessed it, sunflower seeds! After the seeds are harvested, they are dried and then de-hulled (the process of removing the inedible outer shell). Once the hulls are removed, the seeds are gently ground into a fine powder to create the flour.
Sunflower seed flour is a good source of protein, fiber, and healthy fats, making it a nutrient-packed ingredient for baking and cooking. It's also gluten-free, making it a great option for those with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
Health Benefits of Sunflower Seed Flour:
Sunflower seed flour is a good source of several vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E, magnesium, and selenium. It's also a good source of fiber and protein.
The health benefits of sunflower seed flour include:
- Boosting heart health: The magnesium in sunflower seed flour can help to lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Improving digestion: Sunflower seed flour is a good source of fiber, which is important for a healthy digestive system.
- Reducing inflammation: Vitamin E in sunflower seed flour has anti-inflammatory properties.
Can Using Sunflower Seeds Turn Things Green?
Some people may not know that sunflower seed flour can cause your baked goods to turn green. This is because of a reaction between baking powder and baking soda and the chlorophyll in these seeds.
Chlorogenic quinone-amino acid greening happens when powdery chlorophyll in sunflower seeds comes into contact with acidic compounds found mostly around pH = 4–6, which are present naturally within some foods including dairy products as well as vegetables such peppers etc.
Tapioca Flour a type of starch extract derived from the starchy vegetable called cassava root (Manihot esculenta), is mainly grown in parts of Africa and Asia. The entire plant provides millions with their daily calories.
It is a white, starch-like powder that is gluten-free and has a neutral taste. Tapioca flour is often used in gluten-free baking as it helps bind ingredients together and add structure to baked goods.
The cassava root is also known as yucca.
Teff is a grass that is native to Ethiopia, and it has been an important part of the country's cuisine for centuries. The small, round seeds of the teff plant are milled into flour that is used to make injera bread. Injera is a spongy, sourdough bread that forms the base of many Ethiopian dishes. It is often served with stews and curries, and it can be used to scoop up food or rolled into a cone-shaped bundle.
Teff Flour can also be used to make porridge, pancakes, and flatbreads. In recent years, teff has gained popularity outside of Ethiopia as people have become more interested in global cuisines.
There are two main types of teff flour: brown and white. Brown teff flour is made from whole grains, while white teff flour is milled from the inner part of the grain.
Teff flour is readily available in specialty stores and online retailers. When baking with teff flour, it is important to note that it has a higher absorbency than other types of flour, so you may need to add additional liquid to your recipe. For best results, mix teff flour with other types of gluten-free flour.
Tigernut Flour also known as Yellow Nutsedge, Earth Almond, or Chufa, is a gluten-free, grain-free alternative to traditional wheat flour. It's made from ground tiger nuts, which are small, nut-like tubers that grow underground. Tigernut flour has a slightly sweet, nutty flavor and can be used in many recipes that call for wheat flour.
Facts about Tigernuts:
- high in fiber, iron, proteins, and magnesium.
- has a level of grittiness
- high fiber
- 19 grams carbohydrates per ¼ cup
- safe for people that are allergic to nuts as Tigernuts are not nuts
Whole Wheat Flour
Whole Wheat Flour or Wholemeal Flour (in the UK) is a type of flour that is made by grinding the entire wheat berry, including the bran and germ. This gives whole wheat flour a higher nutrient and fiber content than white flour. Whole wheat flour is also less processed than white flour, meaning that it retains more of the natural nutrients found in wheat.
Whole wheat flour can be used in any recipe that calls for all-purpose or bread flour. It can also be used to make whole wheat bread, rolls, muffins, and other baked goods.
Vital Wheat Gluten
Vital Wheat Gluten is a protein found in wheat that is responsible for the elastic texture of dough. It is often used as a dietary supplement or as an ingredient in processed foods.
When combined with water, Vital Wheat Gluten becomes highly elastic and can help to improve the texture and elasticity of the dough. It can also help to retain the gas and steam from baking and give more volume to the baked bread. In addition, Vital Wheat Gluten is a good source of protein and can be a healthy addition to your diet.