Today: Making a quinoa crab salad, and taking it to the next level. If you love crab this dish will soon become one of your new favorites. A lot of eaters out there have food texture issues when it comes to eating. This recipe offers great texture and deep flavor.
Honestly, when I first tasted this dish I was a little shocked. It was one of those moments when you go, really? It really turned out that good? Promise, yes! This would be a great date night dinner plan. Add a little white wine like a Sauvignon Blanc and you’re set.
Red Quinoa has a great texture – Fluffy with a great bite to it and stands up to big flavor
Today this recipe is all about Texture
Red Quinoa looks beautiful in nature, doesn’t it?
Bonus: Today we are going to make a delicious saffron stock to cook the Quinoa in.
This step is not a requirement, yet offers the dish a magic touch.
You can use 2 cups of water in place of the stock.
The Stock is super easy. What kind of Stock?
Crab & Saffron Stock
Do you think Saffron is expensive?
Nope. Why? Everyone says it is. Saffron will last you a long time is the reason. You’ll never need to use much, Saffron can even be bought at Walmart. Figure $15 a year
First Clean Your Snow Crab
(You can use whichever Crab you best enjoy, no problem)
“HOW TO” Clean Snow Crab VIDEO - Below
Removing the crab meat in whole pieces is a great way to improve the presentation of quinoa crab salad.
In the video, I will show you the "secret" hidden crabmeat a lot of folks do not even know is there. Check it out!
Really hope you give this dish a try.
Let us know if you liked it or loved it 🙂
📖 Recipe Card
Crab Salad with Red Quinoa & Avocado Crema
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 Snow Crab Cluster Reserve the Shells for the stock
- 1 Shallot
- 1 Lemon
- 8 to 10 Saffron Pistols
- ½ cup Grape Tomatoes
- ½ cup Walnuts Pistachios, Slice Almonds
- 1 Jalapeno
- 4-6 teaspoon Vanilla Yogurt
- Avocado Crema
- 1 Avocado
- 2 Grape Tomatoes
- Squeeze of Lemon
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- pinch Salt
- Basil for garnish
- De-Shell the Crabmeat ( keep the shells for the stock )
Making the stock
- Add 1 Tbs of butter into a medium-sized pot and bring the heat to medium/high
- While the butter is melting add half of a Shallot ( Sweat for 1 minute)
- Next,add your Crab shells and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, (releases flavor)
- Add 2 cups of water, the Saffron, and Lemon ( Slice 3 to 4 pieces of Lemon peel)
- In a food processor or in a mixing bowl,
- Combine ingredients,
- One Avocado, 1 teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar, 2 Grape Tomatoes, Sliced Almonds (To your taste), Squeeze of Lemon and pinch of Salt
- Combine/ Pulse will you like the consistency
Bring the Dish Together
- Add your Quinoa into a bowl along with Pistachios, Sliced Almonds, Walnuts, Jalapeno, Shallot and mix lightly
- Chop Pistachios and Walnuts to a nice size
- Minced Jalapeno ( exclude if you don't like spicy peppers )
- Taste for good texture and seasoning
- TSA ( Taste - Season & Adjust ) example, add more nuts or tomatoes, etc
- Sliced Grape Tomatoes into quarters
- Lastly, add Tomatoes, so as not to burst them ( Amount: to your tastes )