Traditional Texas Chicken Tortilla Soup
Texas Chicken Tortilla Soup is a classic southwestern favorite made with the freshest of ingredients with a base of homemade Chicken Stock. The homemade Chicken Stock is the key to the deep flavor that is indescribable deliciousness.
The first step to making the Perfect Chicken Tortilla Soup is making the Chicken Stock.
Yes, you can use store bought Chicken broth, no problem. Today we are making Chicken Stock and not Chicken Broth. 🙂
What’s the difference?
Chicken Stock is made from the Chicken’s bones & Chicken Broth is from poaching a whole Chicken.
Full Instructional Video on Making Chicken Stock
Chicken Tortilla Soup Ingredients
Making the Chicken Stock
| Done |
As you can see making Chicken Stock is pretty easy. We like Easy!
Chef Tip: Use Ice-cube trays to store Chicken Stock in your freezer for easy use when making pan sauces.
| Making the Tortilla Soup |
Ok, really step one is cooking or purchasing a roasted Chicken and removing all the meat then using the bones for your Chicken stock. Nowadays grocery stores are selling whole roasted Chickens for convenience and they’re pretty good. If you’re like me you probably want to roast your own Chicken. Here’s a link to the Perfect Roast Chicken article to help out. Really the perfect way to roast a Chicken.
Add To Your Yummly Recipes
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken Meat from one whole Chicken Shredded
- 1 Poblano Pepper Chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Chopped
- 1 Large Onion Chopped
- 1 Tomato Diced
- 1 Ancho Chili Pepper Dried
- 1/2 Jalapeno Minced - De-Seeded - De-Ribbed
- 1 Ear of Corn Canned works as well
- 1.5 Quarts of Chicken Stock Vegetable Stock works as well
- Avocado Sliced & served on the side
- Tomato Paste
- Tortilla strips or Corn Tortillas
- Favorite Cheese Topping/Garnish
- In a large pot at medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons of butter and melt, then the Onions, Poblano, Red Bell Peppers and Jalapeno ( Optional ) and sweat for 4-5 minutes or just until the onions begin to brown. A little browning is actually best to enhance the onion flavor.
- Next add the corn, around 10 cilantro leaves and the diced Tomato and cover with the Chicken Stock, lastly add in 2 tablespoons of tomato paste and the Ancho Chili Pepper ( Minced ) ( Adds deep flavor ) and cook for 30 minutes.
- Since the Chicken is already cooked, add the chicken right before you serve.
- Cut the Corn Tortillas into long strips
- In a shallow saute pan add in 1/2 inch of oil on medium high heat and fry the Corn Tortillas till brown and crispy.
- Add the fried Corn Tortilla strips on top of the Chicken Tortilla soup, top with Cheese ( Like Monterey Jack), Cilantro and a side of sliced Avocado.
Chef Steven Pennington
Le Cordon Bleu Chef sharing food adventures from around the world with a style of cooking rooted in southwestern flavors using French culinary technique.