Zucchini Lasagna Recipe is a great meal to make ahead for those busy weeknights where getting dinner on the table can feel like an impossible task.
Our recipe only takes about 15 minutes from start to finish to prepare, and it tastes fantastic.
Do you love Lasagna? Then make sure to check out our Crispy Lasagna Recipe. One the most incredible dishes of all time.
⬇️ Table of Contents
Zucchini Lasagna Recipe
When it comes to eating a healthy diet. Using fresh ingredients and preparing them to taste great is easy. I love the idea of vegetable lasagna.
The replacement of traditional pasta with zucchini adds great texture to the dish, plus a beautiful presentation. The longer you cook the lasagna, the softer the zucchini noodles will become. Baking for 15 to 20 minutes is the spot-on texture.
Zucchini is a summer squash that grows during the prime season of May to August. It can be found year-round, but it's most abundant in this time frame.
Did you know that Zucchini is a type of squash? 45 Types of Squash | A-to-Z | Photos
List of ingredients for making Zucchini Lasagna.
- Zucchini - the right amount of texture to mimic authentic pasta noodles.
- 🧀 Ricotta - both whole milk or low-fat ricotta works nicely. Have a go at making your own: Ricotta Cheese
- Italian Cheese Blend - mixture of different cheeses brings more flavor and depth to the dish.
- 🍅 Tomato Sauce
- 🥚 Egg -binding ingredient for the filling. Substitute: Chia Seeds
- 🌿 Dill - the addition of fresh of dill will surprise you. The key is not using too much.
- Parsley - pop of flavor and freshness.
- 🧄 Garlic - health benefits garlic. Strong health properties, Allicin and Allium : the magic of this root bulb.
See the recipe card for quantities.
🔪 How to Make Zucchini Lasagna
Shop and identify Zucchini;
Zucchini has a crown on the stem. The skin is smooth, almost waxy. Cucumber has rough and bumpy skin.
Tips for creating zucchini lasagna noodles; two simple options:
- Use a kitchen mandolin to make long thin strips; use the middle thickness setting.
- Try using a vegetable peeler, make long strips.
Ricotta Cheese Filling: Use a large bowl and add the following ingredients:
- 1 Ricotta
- 1 Italian Cheese Blend (substitute with your favorite cheese)
- 1 Egg (optional: add 1 extra egg yolk)
- Dill - chopped
- Parsley - chopped
- Garlic - minced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Measurements on the recipe card.
Lay two pieces of zucchini across each other piece in an X shape.
Add the cheese filling; 2 to 3 tablespoons in the middle.
Finishing the fold: bring the second piece on top of the other; see above. Then move the wrapped zucchini to the casserole dish.
Casserole dish prep: Add tomato sauce, covering the bottom of the cookware.
🍅 The Tomato Sauce: one of the 5 French mother sauces. Learning to make incredible tomato sauce does not come from following a recipe. There is much more than adding the ingredients to a pot and cooking them. The applied technique is the key to success.
Would you like to make the best tomato sauce possible; ➡️ Peak Of The Season Tomato Sauce.
Baking: Position/move the oven rack to the middle. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Bake the lasagna for 15 to 20 minutes. The longer you bake, the softer the lasagna will become. Bake too long; well, things get burnt.
Before serving, Julianne sweet basil for a pop of freshness.
Roll the basil into a long cylinder. Make thin slices and unroll, then sprinkle on top.
🎦 Watch How To Make It
Additional ingredients to consider: Cut "Long-Thin" strips from each ingredient, or use the leaf wraps for the cheese filling.
- Yellow Squash
- Giant Carrots (makes small serving portions. Appetizer idea)
- Huge Parsnips
🌿 Large Leafy Greens: Blanch leafy greens in boiling salted water, for 2 minutes. Afterward, place into an ice bath to stop the cooking.
- Collard Greens
- Mustard Greens
- Rainbow Chard
- Dinosaur Kale
The dish can be prepared in advance and covered with tight plastic wrap for 3 days in the refrigerator.
If freezing, do not add the tomato sauce until the time of baking. Packaging; place 1 inch apart, helps from not freezing together.
Freezer life: 1 month. If longer, the natural waters in the zucchini dry out.
Recipes To Try
📖 Recipe Card
- Zucchini (/ Cut in long thin strips. Best use a mandolin to slice.) 3
- Ricotta 1 cup
- Italian Cheese or Cheese blend 1 cup
- Tomato Sauce 24 oz
- Egg 1 large
- Dill (/ chopped) 1 teaspoon
- Parsley 1 teaspoon
- Garlic (/ minced) 1 teaspoon
- Sea Salt 1 teaspoon
- Black Pepper ½ teaspoon
- Preparing the zucchini: Using a mandolin or vegetable peeler make long thin slices. It takes two slices per serving of lasagna.You could use a knife to make long cuts as well. Just make sure you do not cut them too thick or they will not bend into shape.
- Filling: Add ricotta, cheese blend, dill, parsley, garlic, salt & pepper to a medium-sized bowl and mix the ingredients. Whip the egg separately in a bowl and then add. Helps make sure the egg incorporates well.
- Building the lasagna: Prep the casserole dish, spread tomato sauce over the bottom of the casserole dish. Add a small amount of Italian cheese blend to the top of the tomato sauce.The zucchini - Lay two thin strips of zucchini on top of each other in the shape of a cross. Lay each zucchini piece on top. Perpendicular / 90 degrees.Add the filling to the middle of the zucchini. Just enough that it will not ooze out the sides.
- Folding the zucchini: Start with the zucchini piece on the bottom of the X and bring it up over the top, repeating with both sides and both pieces. You'll end up with a small bundle. Flip over 180 degrees and place on top of the tomato sauce in the casserole dish. The seam should be facing downwards to keep it wrapped in shape.Add a small amount of cheese to the top of each individual zucchini serving. Sprinkle additional cheese around the casserole dish for extra cheese goodness in the sauce.The cheese will create a nice presentation.
- Baking: Position the oven rack to the middle. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, then serve asap.
- Garnish with Julianne of sweet basil.
- Zucchini is a type of squash that is often used in recipes. It is a great source of nutrients, including vitamins A and C.
- Zucchini can be eaten raw or cooked and is a versatile ingredient that can be added to many different dishes.
- Some popular zucchini recipes include zucchini bread, zucchini pasta, and zucchini soup. Zucchini is also a good choice for vegetarians, as it provides important nutrients like protein and fiber.