Sunny Side UP Eggs
- Without Browning/or Burnt Edges -
How often have you ordered sunny side up eggs in a restaurant? How many times have they come to the table perfect? How many times have they come burnt around the edges? Let's fixed this today once and for all with an easy technique. Cooking eggs, such a personal thing, everyone has a different way they like them.
Chef Tip: Egg cookery is said to be the eye of the cook in the culinary world
How to cook sunny side up eggs correctly
The first thing to consider is the temperature. When cooking eggs, almost 100% of the time you will want to use medium heat. Egg whites start to coagulate at a temperature of 140 degrees. This is the temperature when the egg whites being to turn white and set up and become firm. Managing this process takes little patients. If you hurry egg cookery you’re going to get either rubbery eggs or burnt crispy edges. If that’s the way you like your eggs, cool. That is one the coolest thing about food besides eating it; everyone has different opinions of what they like versus what is considered culinarily correct. In this series on egg cookery, the information provided will be relating to what is considered culinarily correct.
Sunny Side Up Egg Cookery
- Control your heat – Medium Heat – Depending on your stove, you may need to change the temperature while cooking to maintain even medium heat.
- Don’t be in a hurry
- Do NOT use butter for sunny side up eggs. The butter will burn. The milk solids have natural sugars in them and burn quickly. This often is where the burnt crispy edges come from.
- The egg white MUST be completely cooked. Unlike the egg yolks. The egg white is pure protein and if it isn’t cooked all the way you could get sick.
- Watch for the ring around the yolk turn from a transparent white to a setup and firm egg white. This is when the egg is done and ready to be eaten.
Egg White – Not Cooked – Still Transparent
Egg White Is Cooked & Setup and Firm To The Touch
Read our article covering every reason why you should or shouldn’t eat eggs.