Our perfect roasted pumpkin seed recipe is the perfect snack if you're looking for something both healthy and delicious. They are highly nutritious, but they're also incredibly tasty. Easy to make - only a few simple ingredients and a bit of time.
This recipe reminds me of my mother during the holidays. Growing up, each year, Mom would roast pumpkin seeds. What to expect is the best taste and texture imaginable.
⬇️ Table of Contents
What Do Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Taste Like?
The seeds have a nutty, earthy flavor that is enhanced by adding seasoning. The seeds can be roasted with salt or with various other seasonings like chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin.
How To Roast Pumpkin Seeds
Regarding healthy snacks, roasted ones are one of the best options. Not only are they packed with protein and fiber, but they’re also low in calories and fat. They’re a great source of vitamins and minerals like zinc, magnesium, and potassium. Roasting brings out their nutty flavor and makes them crunchy and delicious.
Start by cutting off the top portion of the pumpkin. If planning to carve the pumpkin for Halloween, cut using a 30-degree angle for a nice presentation.
Cleaning The Pumpkin
Scrape down the pumpkin walls using a large spoon. Move all the seeds to the bottom.
Once the walls are clean, scrape the very bottom.
Using the best tool in the kitchen, your hands to scoop the seeds out, and try to remove all the seeds. This is a great job for the kids. It enacts the Halloween vibe.
Next, wash the seeds in a colander under cold water.
Wash the pumpkin seeds under cold water. Remove all the remaining pumpkin flesh from the seeds as they could burn in the oven.
Adding 1 egg white is the magic. This single ingredient will make your pumpkin seeds the best. The egg white will be set up while baking and become very crispy. Toss the seeds and coat them.
- Sea Salt
- Garlic Salt, Garlic Powder, and Granulated Garlic are all excellent choices.
- Cayenne Pepper (omit if the recipe is for kids).
- Cinnamon - secret ingredient number 2, impossible to stop eating.
- 1 Egg White - the secret ingredient that provides super crispy pumpkin seeds.
- Optional: curry powder, allspice, chili powder...
Baking Pumpkin Seeds
Use a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Aluminum foil will accelerate the cooking time. I do not suggest using aluminum foil.
Spread the seeds all over the parchment paper. Place the seeds next to each other, the idea is they are not all on top of each other. This promotes even cooking.
Bake the pumpkin seeds at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until super crispy.
Once out of the oven, allow the pumpkin seeds to cool down.
Finish by breaking the pumpkin seeds up using a fork or your hands.
Should You Boil Pumpkin Seeds Before Roasting?
While some people swear by boiling pumpkin seeds before roasting them, others find it unnecessary. If you decide to boil your seeds, use plenty of salt in the water. Boiling the seeds in salted water helps them retain their flavor during the roasting process. Plus, it allows the salt to penetrate the seeds, making them tastier. Make sure to dry the seeds with a paper towel.
If you're short on time, you can skip the boiling step. Make sure to add a little extra salt to the seeds before roasting.
Benefits of Roasting Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin seeds are a good source of dietary fiber and monounsaturated fatty acids. They are also a good source of protein, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, phosphorus, and zinc. The roasted pumpkin seeds have the same nutritional benefits as the raw ones. Roasting the seeds enhances the flavor, making them more enjoyable to eat.
Pumpkin seeds contain phytosterols which can lower cholesterol levels in the blood. They also have a high content of antioxidants which can help protect cells from damage caused by free radicals. Additionally, pumpkin seeds are a good source of magnesium, which is essential for bone health and maintaining a healthy nervous system.
How To Store Roasted Pumpkin Seeds?
To store roasted pumpkin seeds, place them in an airtight container and store them in a cool, dry place. They should last for about two weeks.
Why Are My Pumpkin Seeds Chewy?
One possible reason your pumpkin seeds might be chewy is that they were not roasted properly. Pumpkin seeds need to be roasted at a high temperature to become crunchy.
If they are not roasted long enough, they will be chewy. Another possibility is that the pumpkin seeds you are using are old. Pumpkin seeds are best when fresh, so using old ones will result in a less-than-ideal texture.
Benefits of Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin seeds are healthy. They are a good source of fiber, protein, and minerals like zinc and magnesium. Roasting them also brings out their natural flavor, making them a delicious and nutritious snack.
Can They Be Frozen?
Yes, roasted pumpkin seeds can be frozen. To do so, place the seeds in an airtight container and store them in the freezer for up to six months. When ready to eat them, thaw the seeds at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Pumpkin Posts To Visit
45 Types of Pumpkins | A-to-Z | Defined | Photos
Pumpkin Roulade with Crystallized Ginger Buttercream
How To Soften Butter: Best Chef Tips
How Many Sticks of Butter Are in One Cup
📖 Recipe Card
Crispy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 whole Pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Egg White
- Start by cutting off the top portion of the pumpkin. If you plan to carve the pumpkin, cut using a 30-degree angle for a nice presentation.
- Using a large spoon, scrape down the seeds from the sides to the bottom. Remove the seeds and place them into a large bowl.
- Wash and rinse off the pumpkin seeds with running water.
- Add one egg white, ( Lightly whip the egg white with a fork ) Add All Ingredients1 Tsp Sea Salt 1 Tsp Garlic Salt ½ Tsp Cinnamon ¼ Tsp Cayenne PepperCombine with the clean pumpkin seeds
- Using a cookie sheet, with parchment paper on top, add the pumpkin seeds.Spread them out evenly
- Roast in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Or until very crispy
- Using a fork, break up the roasted pumpkin seeds. The pumpkin seeds will have an amazing great texture from the egg white.
- Do the best you can to clean the pumpkin seeds to avoid burning.
- Old pumpkins do not make for a good choice for roasting the seeds
- Buy an extra pumpkin for Halloween just for roasting the seeds
- Small pumpkins usually do not have many seeds
worked great, tasted great! but all the seeds stuck to the paper!
Very interesting effect. Kinda like a "brittle". The pumpkin seeds with texture. LOve it...What about you?