There are a number of different theories about the origins and etymology of Scotch eggs. The London department store Fortnum & Mason claims to have invented Scotch eggs in 1738
What is a Scotch Egg?
Perfection that’s what 🙂 Scotch egg recipe consists of cooking an egg to just the right temperature without overcooking and then surrounding the egg in-sausage then breaded and fried. Getting the egg cooked just right is key. We are going to cover the tricks of peeling hard-boiled eggs with ease.
Keto Scotch Eggs Cookery
There are two schools of thought about getting the egg to the right doneness. Both a personal choice
- Do you want the eggs hard-boiled? Or
- Do you want the yolks to still be soft and a bit runny?
In this recipe post, we focus on getting the eggs to a slightly runny consistency, ( soft boiled: considered harder to accomplish) but also explain how to get the eggs to hard-boiled doneness.
Boiling the Eggs for Keto Scotch Eggs
First, fill up a pot with enough water to just cover the eggs and bring to a boil. Then add the egg to the hot water and set a timer for 4:30 minutes for soft-boiled), for hard-boiled set timer for 6:30 minutes.
Once the timer goes off, have a bowl filled with very warm water ready to peel the eggs.
Learn the Tricks to Peeling Soft/Hard Boiled Eggs with Ease
Most people think of using ice water bath to peel eggs. Sure it stops the cooking process, but causes the eggs to stick to the egg shells creating a hard shell to peel. Instead, place the eggs into warm water and crack the egg on the side of the bowl and peel the egg within the water. #Easy #WhereHasThisBeenAllMyLife
Second way to peel the eggs.
The Mason Jar Method:
Place one egg at a time into a small mason jar with a small amount of water and shake, shake, shake. Easiest of all techniques, but make sure to work quickly so the eggs are still warm once you place them into the mason jar.
When you stock the eggs in cold water this membrane (shown below) sticks to the shell. Creating a hard time peeling the eggs.
CheckOut Our How-TO Video:
100-Year-Old Trick To Peeling Hard-Boiled EGGs
On to the part of this recipe, that will have KETO diet fans very happy about. The special ingredient, Pork Rinds
Instead of using breadcrumbs to coat the scotch egg we will crush or process it in a food processor, into fine crumbs.
Remember, Pork Rinds have ZERO Carbs 🙂
Gluten-Free – Instead of using normal All-Purpose flour, we suggest using gluten-free flour. I’m telling you that you will not be able to tell the difference, but your body will if you’re sensitive to carbs pr glucose blood spikes.
What Happens When Your Body Breaks Down Carbohydrates?
In short, it turns it into sugar. Yep, the sugar in normal people’s bodies is used to fuel/feed the cells in your blood. Those that are insulin sensitive or diabetic should avoid carbohydrates or shoot to keep them under 100 grams a day. Which makes this recipe so awesome. Next to no carbohydrates 🙂
WATCH Our How-TO Video:
KETO Diet Scotch Eggs | Gluten-Free
Making the Keto Scotch Eggs Recipe
Ok, we have the eggs prepped.
Next is the sausage. While shopping I found these Jimmy Dean premium all-natural pork sausage patties. Worked out perfectly.
Layout out the patties one at a time and flatten them out as seen in the photo below
Then shape the sausage around the eggs, trying to surround the entire egg.
Once finished with all the eggs, place them in the refrigerator to set up. Will help the eggs keep the shape while frying.
Standard Breading Procedure for Keto Scotch Eggs
- Bowl One: Almond Flour ( or Gluten-Free Flour )
- Bowl Two: Eggs ( Whipped )
- Bowl Three: Crushed or Processed with the food processor / Pork Rinds
Start with bowl one – cover the egg with flour
Next. into bowl two with the eggs and completely cover.
Finish with the Pork Rind breadcrumbs
Straight into 330-340 degree oil until golden brown and delicious. We used equal parts canola oil and peanut oil. You could use vegetable oil as well. The amount of sausage covering the eggs will not take long to cook. If your oil temperature is set correctly the sausage will be completely cooked once the eggs reach a beautiful golden brown.
Idea: Serving with a cream sauce or ranch dressing is highly encouraged.
You could mix sour cream, garlic salt, pepper, and cilantro for a simple dipping sauce
KETO Diet Scotch Eggs – Egg Peeling Tricks Revealed – So Easy
Keto Scotch Eggs Recipe
- 6 Eggs
- 16 oz Package of Breakfast Sauage) Enough to cover 6 eggs
- Bag of Pork Rinds I used spicy favored, also adds extra color(You can add a small amount of paprika to the pork rinds to enhance the finished presentation color)
- 1/2 Cup + of Almond Flour
- Preparing the Soft Boiled Eggs
- Using a medium-sized pot, add enough water that will just cover the tops of the eggs
- Bring water to a strong boil
- Then add room temperature eggs to the pot and turn down the temperature to just under the rapid boil. (Water still bubbling and very hot)
- Cover the pot with a lid and set the timer for 4:30 minutes exactly
- Next, remove the cooked eggs and place them in a bowl with warm temperature water ( Do not run them under cold water or shock them with ice water)
- How To Peel The Eggs
- Either using a bowl with warm temperature water in it or running the eggs under warm water. (The idea is to NOT shock the eggs the coldness. That causes the membrane between the eggshell and the egg to stick and makes peeling a challenge. You can also place one egg at a time in a small mason jar with a small amount of water and shake until the eggs are peeled.
- Start by cracking around the egg under the water.
- Peel the egg underwater in the bowl, or under running water (Water temperature: Warm)
- Making the Scotch Egg
- Apply the pork sausage to the outside of the soft boiled egg. I suggest laying out the sausage on a cutting board and making a flat circle. Envision the egg placed in the middle and enough sausage to cover the entire exterior of the egg.
- Once the eggs are wrapped with sausage, place them into the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes. ( The reason for this step is to allow the sausage to set up around the eggs and allow the soft boil egg yolks to chill and become cold. This will help the egg yolks to not overcook and still remain runny from frying.
- Using 3 bowls, add the almond flour to one, 2 eggs "beaten with a fork" with a tbsp of water to the second, bowl, and lastly, add the pork rind breadcrumbs to the third bowl. ( Just add the pork rinds to a food processor and try to grind them up quickly)(Quickly, so they do not get warm and start melting the fat)
- Start with the almond flour and cover the egg/sausage completely, then dip into the egg mix and finish with the pork grind breadcrumbs
- Next, fry them for about 2 minutes. Fryer @ 330-340 degrees. We used equal parts canola oil and peanut oil. You could use vegetable oil as well. TIP: When covering the eggs with the sausage, make sure you don't add too much sausage creating a thick layer. This will add to the cooking time and cause the yolks to become hard. Just use enough sausage to cover the boiled eggs
KETO Diet Scotch Eggs - Egg Peeling Tricks Revealed - So Easy
- 1 Cup/8 oz Package of Sour Cream
- Cut off the head of a bushel of Cilantro
- Pinch of paprika
- PInch of Sea Salt
- Fresh cracked Black Pepper
- A squeeze of Lime Juice