When life gives you Hard-Boiled Eggs, making a delicious batch of Deviled Eggs wins every time. Making a high-quality deviled egg starts with the perfect hard-boiled egg.
The technique we use is over 100 years old and foolproof. The result is an easy-to-peel egg. 🥚
Looking for something special to try, give our Macadamia Nut Butter & Parmesan Deviled Eggs a try and be amazed.
Let's answer the main question of the day.
⬇️ Table of Contents
Why Are Deviled Eggs Called Deviled Eggs?
Sounds kinda odd, doesn't it? Rest a sure it has nothing to do with the devil, yet they are called deviled eggs in part due to the ingredients used to season them.
The Etymology of the Term Deviled Egg
The term "deviled" in relation to food can be traced back to the 18th century. At that time, food that was highly seasoned or spicy was said to be "deviled."
In the 19th century, the term came to be used specifically in relation to eggs that were filled with a mixture of spices and other ingredients.
Elevation & Cooking Time of Hard-Boiled Eggs
The temperature at which water boils is not 212 degrees for every location around the world. For every 500 feet above sea level, water will boil faster. This changes how long your eggs should cook by 1 to 3 minutes on average.
🥚 Facts About Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Always start with cold water - If you add eggs straight into hot water, the exterior of the eggs will be overcooked and rubbery.
- Tip: Shorter cooking time of 4-5 minutes will result in a soft boiled egg)
- Do not overfill the pot with eggs. If you add a bunch of eggs that are cold this will increase the cooking time due to the fact the water will take longer to come to a boil. If you must add a bunch of eggs at once, make sure the eggs are at room temperature.
- When in doubt, cook the eggs for less time versus longer.
How Can You Tell When A Hard-Boiled Egg Is Overcooked? 🤔
Overcooked boiled eggs will have a green hue around the outside of the egg. The eggs will also have a harder texture and become grainy. When you cut into the egg, you will see a green hue between the egg yolk and the egg white.
Time to start over, as there is no way to fix an overcooked hard-boiled egg.
Are Eggs Good For You?
Eggs are one of mother nature's healthiest creations on the entire planet. The level of nutrients reflexes that of a daily multivitamin, yet much better for you. For decades the conversation has been around IF eggs are good for you or not.
The leading argument about eggs has been based on the amount of cholesterol. Find the answer in our post and settle the question once and for all. Are Eggs Good For You Or Not?
Read our complete article on The Health Benefits Of Eggs Explained
- Dijon Mustard
- Gherkins Pickles
- White Sugar
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Sea Salt
- White Pepper
The cooking of the eggs is the key to great deviled eggs. Egg Cookery is a huge area of debate. That being, how to correctly hard-boil the eggs.
How To Hard-Boiled Eggs
At the grocery store buy extra-large eggs for deviled eggs. The reason is the yolks are larger and yield a larger amount to fill your deviled eggs.
Watch The: 100 Year Old Hard-Boiled Egg Hack
- 12 Eggs Hard-Boiled Eggs 🥚
- Add the eggs to a large pot, do not stack eggs on top of each other.
- Add only cold water to cover the eggs. Add enough water that the tops of the eggs are well below the waterline. Cover the egg tops by 2 inches.
- Heat the water on high heat. The faster you can get the water to boil the better. If you heat the water slowly the eggs could end up overcooked.
- Once the water reaches a rapid boil turn off the heat.
- Cover the pot with a lid or plate and start your timer.
- At sea level, set the timer for 12 minutes, exactly.
- Once the timer goes off remove the eggs immediately and place them into an ice bath to stop the cooking process. This is called shocking the eggs.
- The ice water will make peeling the hard boil eggs easier.
One thing I love about making deviled eggs is the sky is the limit on creativity. Tip for creating new recipe combination ideas. First, create the deviled egg recipe base, follow the recipe below on the recipe card. Take a small amount into a side bowl and let the experimenting begin.
I have a shortlist below in the Faqs section on substitute ingredients ideas to try.
Combine the ingredients in the list below in a large mixing bowl. Start with the egg yolks and the mayonnaise and cream them together with a small pinch of sea salt. Then add the remaining deviled egg recipe ingredients to the bowl.
Tip: Mince the shallot into very small pieces.
Classic Yolk Filling Base
- ⅓ cup Mayonnaise - Use more if it looks like it's needed
- 1 ½ teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 3 teaspoons Shallots / minced
- 3 Gherkins Pickles / Finely Chopped - sweet pickles work really well
- 2 teaspoons White Sugar - Helps balance the ingredients
- ¾ teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Fresh Chives (optional) sliced thin - save some for garnish
- ½ teaspoons Sea Salt
- ¼ teaspoons White Pepper
Tip: Place the sliced in half egg whites into the refrigerator while making the base. This will make filling the egg whites easier with less chance of them tearing or ripping.
After the deviled egg base is done, add it to a pastry bag with a star tip of your choosing. The star tip will create a beautiful design pattern when you fill the deviled eggs.
If you do not have a pastry bag you can use a plastic zip-lock bag. Cut out a corner and slide the star tip into the bag and secure. This method works but is a bit messier.
What Are Angel Eggs
The term angel egg derives from the concept of using healthy ingredients for deviled eggs in place of other ingredients; (ingredients with less fat and cholesterol).
Adding avocado to the egg yolks creates an amazing texture. The avocado adds such a smooth texture to the deviled egg recipe you could even reduce the number of eggs you use. With the addition of avocado, it is safe to call your deviled eggs, Angel Eggs.
Did you know Avocado 🥑 is a Super Food now? Check out our article, Superfood Avocado | The Power Of Healthy Eating
Cover with plastic wrap or in an airtight Tupperware container. Deviled eggs will last for 3 to 4 days. After that the texture becomes off-putting.
- Yogurt, instead of mayonnaise
- Curry powder
- Candied Jalapenos
- Pinch of sugar
- Sour Cream
- Adding Bacon
- Fried herbs for garnish: parsley / basil / sage
- Spicy peppers: jalapeno, serrano, habanero.
Recipes To Try
- Macadamia Nut Butter & Parmesan Deviled Eggs
- Perfect Poached Eggs | How-to Video
- Make Hard-Boiled Eggs "Without" Using Water
- How To Cook Omelet In A Water Bath / Sous Vide Omelet
- How To Make Egg Clouds | The Culinary Creation That Broke The Internet
- Keto Scotch Eggs Recipe | Gluten-free | Keto Diet
📖 Recipe Card
- Hard-Boiled Eggs 12 Eggs
- Mayonnaise (/ Use more if it looks like it's needed) ⅓ cup
- Dijon Mustard 1 ½ teaspoon
- Shallots (/ minced) 3 teaspoons
- Gherkins Pickles (/ Finely Chopped - sweet pickles work well) 3
- White Sugar (Helps balance the ingredients) 2 teaspoons
- Apple Cider Vinegar ¾ teaspoons
- Fresh Chives (optional) (sliced thin - save some for garnish) 2 teaspoons
- Sea Salt ½ teaspoons
- White Pepper ¼ teaspoons
- Paprika ( ) ½ teaspoon
- Crispy Bacon (Chopped)
- Fresh Chives
Hard-Boiling The Eggs
- Place the eggs in a large pot and cover cold water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and then cover with a lid and turn off the heat. It is very important to start with cold water. Set a timer for 12 minutes ⏲️
- Once the timer goes off, remove the eggs from the hot water and move them to an ice bath. Shock the eggs in the cold water for 5 minutes, or longer. Five minutes is the minimum. The shocking process makes it easier to peel the eggs shell off.
- Next, remove the eggshells. Do this under running cool water. Allowing the weight of the water to help the egg peel be removed.
- The Filling: Slice the eggs in half lengthwise. Carefully remove the egg yolks and place them into a large mixing bowl. Using the back of a spoon, smash the yolks with mayonnaise and salt.Take the shallot and mince it into small pieces. Tip: If the shallot has any green close to the middle, remove it as it is bitter.
- Combine Ingredients:Mix together with the egg yolks/mayo plus1 ½ teaspoon Dijon Mustard3 teaspoons Shallots / minced3 Gherkins Pickles / Finely Chopped - sweet pickles work really well2 teaspoons White Sugar - Helps balance the ingredients¾ teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar2 teaspoons Fresh Chives (optional) sliced thin - save some for garnish½ teaspoons Sea Salt¼ teaspoons White Pepper
- Presentation: Use a piping bag with a star tip inserted. The fluted edges on the star tip will give a beautiful presentation. Or, I like using a ziplock plastic bag. Cut a small piece off of the lower corner and place a star tip into the corner. Or you could use a spoon to fill.
- Fill each egg white half and be generous, fill over the top of the egg side. To the point, you're not making a mess.
- Garnish: Use a sprinkle of paprika and chives. Cut the chives into small coins.
- Place the deviled eggs into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to set up/ firm up. The texture will be so much better.
- Older eggs peel easier than freshly laid eggs.
- Look on the egg carton for a born-on date. The numbers will be 1 through 365. The number implies the day of the year the eggs were hatched.
- Deviled Eggs do not freeze well.
- Storage: Last 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.