Chocolate chip cookies are probably the most popular cookie recipe on the internet. I’m so glad you found us today, I promise you an excellent experience. Back in Le Cordon Bleu culinary school, the day we made these cookies our entire class freaked out about how great they turned out.
Le Cordon Bleu Chocolate Chip Cookies description: Chewy with a crispy sugary bottom. Light and airy sugary goodness. The centers are chewy and soft. #chocolatechipcookieperfection
The first thing that makes this recipe better than most is we use the correct type of flour for baking chocolate chip cookies. Online, 96% of the recipes suggest using All-Purpose flour.
That’s ok for average chocolate chip cookies, yet not ok with the world’s mentor of “baking and pastry culinary technique.” The French, who the book on culinary/baking technique.
The inherent problem with All-Purpose flour is the amount of protein in the flour, which is around 10-13%. Too much protein creates a more dense cookie. The texture is firmer and denser. We have all enjoyed cookies made with All-Purpose flour. But let’s make the BEST chocolate chip cookies in the world. How?
💭 Best Gluten Flour?
Today I’m going to teach you how to make something very easy at home in your kitchen. It’s called Pastry flour. Please do not confuse Pastry flour with Cake flour.
Cake flour is very light in texture and is milled to the finest texture, just like a fine powder. Think of Pastry flour as the perfect balance of All-Purpose & Cake flour.
The perfect chocolate chip cookie has a protein level of around 8% to 9%.
📋 Make Pastry Flour
The goal of making pastry flour is to achieve the perfect protein level. I have two methods, both equally easy.
- First Method: Take 2 Cups of Cake flour and add 1 cup of All-Purpose flour – That’s it..you’re done ( Important: Please make sure you stiff the flour to combine).
- Second Method: Take 1 cup of All-Purpose flour into a bowl. Next, remove 2 tablespoons of the flour and discard. Then replace the removed 2 tablespoons of flour with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. ( Important: Please make sure you stiff the flour to combine)
🤔 The question that arises is which method is better?
The second method has been around for a very long time and works. Yet is not as good as method #1.
Warning: bless the amateur home cook food bloggers, but looking at google search results they state over and over again Method #2 is how to make Cake flour. Sorry but that is 100% wrong. You cannot make cake flour at home as it is a matter of milling the flour down to an extremely fine grain. They are only stating how to make pastry flour with understanding.
You can see the difference between different flours. The All-Purpose has a slightly darker color compared to the finely milled Cake flour.
The darker color comes from the additional protein in the flour
TIP: You can scale up the Pastry flour recipe and make yourself a supply for future baking. Measurement by x2, x3 whatever amount you need.
NOTE: Pastry flour is not easy to find at your local grocery store.
Whole Wheat Flour
Self Rising Flour
Brown Rice Flour
Potato starch flour
- Add ¾ cup of brown sugar to kitchen aid mixer. You can easily use a hand mixer and a large bowl
2) Add fine white sugar – ¾ of a cup
3) Add 2 whole eggs plus one egg yolk
4) Add 1 whole stick plus half of another stick – 6oz total
5) Cream ingredients together. Attach the paddle attachment and turn the machine on low speed (1 or 2) and allow to mix for 2 plus minutes.
Some believe mixing longer improves the texture of the cookies. Around 5 minutes ⏲️
6) Add 1 whole tablespoon of vanilla extract. Yes, one full tablespoon ✅
Add the vanilla extract after the first mix, do not just add it to the sugar and butter during the first mix. #foodscience
7) Sift the flour and baking soda. This step will reduce the risk of lumps in the flour. You probably noticed I did not include baking powder. Baking powder will cause your cookies to puff up like muffins, and honestly mess up the overall texture.
8) Now the good stuff: Adding Ghirardelli bittersweet 60 percent cacao and Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips to the cookie dough. The balance of both chocolates creates a flavor profile like no other. #betterthantheneighbors ✅
📖 Cookie Shape? Flat/Thick/Tall
A popular question for sure. What makes the cookies flat or sit tall and thick?
- Don’t Do: If you add baking powder the cookies will “overly” puff up and create a cake-like texture
- Easiest TIP Ever: Get the cookie dough super cold before scooping and shaping. This increases the cooking time by 1 to 3 minutes. The effect is the cookie dough has to cool off/cook in the oven longer, resulting in a longer time to flatten out/deflat.
- Use a cookie scooper, a large one with natural height, and make sure the cookie dough is super cold out of the freezer (Pictured recipe below: 2 Tablespoons of Cocoa Powder added to the original recipe – So Good)
- Do not use parchment paper or risk not getting crispy bottoms on the cookies. They are called cookie sheets for good reason.
- TIP: For extra chocolate flavor and to help control the equal distribution of chocolate chips. I like to press in a few chips in places where it looks appropriate
Did You Make This Recipe? Click Here To Leave A Review
Chocolate Chip Cookies - Le Cordon Bleu Recipe
- Flour Sifter
- Digital Scale (Optional: metric ingredients)
- Cookie Sheet 18 by 13 (Half sheet pan: standard size)
Measurements - Convert To Metric Above
- 2 ¼ cups Pastry Flour / Yes you can use AP-Flour, yet cookie texture will be denser
- 1 ½ sticks Butter
- 3 Eggs / 2 whole eggs + extra yolk
- ¾ cup Fine White Sugar
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 T Vanilla Extract / yes 1 tablespoon
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 ¼ cups Chocolate Chips / mix of semi-bitter & milk chocolate
- ½ cup Walnuts / optional
- ⅛ tsp Nutmeg / optional
Making The Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Begin by creaming the butter, sugar, and eggs together. Using a KitchenAid mixer with the paddle attachment works best.Chef Tip: creaming the butter and sugar together takes longer than just mixing them together. You need to do this for at least 3 minutes. Some say long enough for the mixing bowl to get warm (not necessary) the sugar hydrates and softens in texture. The mix will lighten in color.
- Then add in the vanilla, not before. 1 tablespoon
- Next, take the pastry flour (see the instruction in the above article to make your own pastry flour), add salt, and baking soda and sift them. Please make sure you sift your dry ingredients. There is always a small section that doesn't get mixed correctly when you skip sifting. No one wants to eat raw flour.
- Then add the sifted dry to the wet ingredients. Mix in ⅓ of the pastry flour at a time. After ⅔rds of the pastry flour is added, go ahead and add in the chocolate chips. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the mixing bowl to incorporate all of the ingredients. Please add more chocolate chips if you wish.
- Chef Tip: To ensure your cookies turn out great, Do NOT over mix once the pastry flour has been added. Just like when making biscuits. The longer you work the cookie dough the tougher the cookies become. #glutendevelopment
- Place the cookie dough in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes. Longer is better if you enjoy a taller, thicker cookie. Cookie dough that isn't cold will flatten out quickly once in the oven.For two reasons, the dough will be easier to scrape and shape due to setting up from being cold. Secondly, the gluten in the dough has a chance to relax. This will offer a more tender cookie.
- Cook on a cookie sheet without any parchment paper. The parchment paper steals the texture of the bottom of the cookie. Which is the best part. #noparchementpaperIt's called a cookie sheet for a reasonTry to place the cookies a few inches apart from each other on the cookie sheet. The cookies will expand while cooking. I placed 6 cookies at a time on the cookie sheet.Chef Tip: If you want to try to reduce that effect you can bake the cookies at a higher temperature and the cookies will set quicker, reducing the spread of the cookie.
- Bake Cookies @ 350 for 14 minutes or golden brown and delicious. Check the cookies after 11 minutes of baking to make sure everything is going perfectly.
How to make pastry flour
- Take 2 Cups of Cake flour and add 1 cup of All-Purpose flour – That’s it..you’re done ( Important: Please make sure you stiff the flour to combine).
- Take 1 cup of All-Purpose flour into a bowl. Next, remove 2 tablespoons of the flour and discard. Then replace the removed 2 tablespoons of flour with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. ( Important: Please make sure you stiff the flour to combine)