Easy Dinner Party Potato Souffle, also know as Pommes Souffle
We don’t usually compare potatoes to being light and airy, but today that’s exactly what we are going to do. It’s potato souffle day!
What is a Souffle?
Souffle is the combination of egg yolks and egg whites coming together to make a savory or light and airy dessert. The key to a good souffle is the whipping of the egg whites into medium peaks. Some recipes call for stiff peaks, but that’s not usually the case with a souffle. Once you whip the egg whites to the point of stiff peaks the protein strains in the eggs have changed a lot and the end result will vary in texture. Remember: medium peaks.
The creation of the souffle comes from the French around the early 18th centeny. If you would like to read more about the creator of the souffle, the gentleman’s name is Vincent_La_Chapelle. Read More Here…
How-To Make Potatoes Souffle
Easy Dinner Potato Souffle | Also Known as Pommes Souffle
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel – Thank You
Instructions – How-To Make Potato Souffle
( Full Recipe with Printable Recipe Card _ Jump to Now)
First step, Roast or Microwave one large russet potato ( Makes 4 Souffle )
– Oven Roasted Potato –
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and roast potato wrapped in aluminum foil for 30 to 40 minutes.
Wrap in paper towel and place on a plate – Microwave on high heat – 10 to 12 minutes
Cook the Garlic with the Butter and Half & Half – Cook for about 2 minutes.
The point is to cook off the raw garlic. It’s perfect once you can smell the nutty aroma of garlic.
Take two eggs and separate the egg whites and yolks. Add the yolks to the potato mixture and the egg whites to a large mixing bowl.
What makes a Souffle?…The whipping of the egg whites.
Key: Whipping the egg whites, allow the egg whites to fall upon themselves. Whipping the egg whites up and down the side of the bowl, and then allowing the egg whites to fall back down upon the whisk.
Butter the Ramekins ( Ramekins are small personal serving size bowls. Just a fancy name 🙂 I used 9 oz Ramekins
Place Ramekins on a cookie sheet that has been in the oven at least 4 minutes. The cookie sheet being preheated is one of the keys to success. The heat helps the potato souffle start cooking quicker. Oven @ 450
Easy Dinner Potato Souffle
- 1 large Potato - cooked
- 4 tbsp of Butter plus extra for greasing
- 1 1/3 cups Gouda grated (Reserve some for garnish)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 tbsp fresh Chives
- 2 Eggs
- Fresh ground black Pepper
- 6 tbsp Half & Half Milk
- Chives for garnish
- 3 tsp Breadcrumbs coat the sides of the Ramekins
- Cook the potato, (Microwave - 10 to 12 minutes on High)
- Oven Method - 400 degrees 30 to 40 minutes wrapped in aluminum foil
- Place into a large mixing bowl and mash the potato.
- In a small sauce pot, melt butter, then add the garlic and milk and cook until the smell of raw garlic has changed to a nice nutty aroma. Once done, add to potato.
- Separate the egg whites and yolks. Add the yolks to the potato mixture. The egg whites go into a clean mixing bowl. Next whip the eggs very quickly incorporating air into them. They will increase in volume and stiffen. Look to whip the eggs until the egg whites are medium peaks. 2 to 3 minutes
- Slice chive's very small and add the potato mixture along with both grated kinds of cheese and mix. Hold a small amount of the Gouda cheese back for topping the ramekins as a garnish before baking.
- Next, add the whipped egg whites in thirds trying to NOT to remove much of the incorporated air. Just mix enough to combine, then quit mixing.
- Butter the insides of the ramekins and fill with the potato mixture. Make sure to not fill all the way to the top as the souffle will puff up some and rise in the ramekin. If you want that presentation just be aware they puff up a little.
- Garnish with chive and cheese. I suggest not using a lot of cheese as garnish. Takes away from the presentation.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Also, place a cookie sheet in the oven to heat up. When your ready to bake, place the ramekins on the hot cookie sheet and place in the middle of the oven for 14 to 17 minutes or until GDB (Golden Brown & Delicious)
Easy Dinner Party Potato Souffle | Also Known as Pommes Souffle
Great Sunday Brunch Potato Recipe
Super Crispy and So Easy To Make