What Is National Sandwich Day?
National Sandwich Day is a day to celebrate sandwiches! It is usually celebrated on November 3rd, but this year it falls on November 2nd. There are many different types of sandwiches, so there is sure to be something for everyone to enjoy on this special day.
Whether you like your sandwiches simple or complex, there is a perfect sandwich out there for you to enjoy. So, get out there and celebrate National Sandwich Day with a delicious sandwich.
Why We Celebrate National Sandwich Day
National Sandwich Day is a holiday that celebrates the sandwich. It was first celebrated in 1984 and is now observed annually on November 3rd. The day commemorates the sandwich's invention, which is said to have occurred in 1762.
History of National Sandwich Day
John Montagu, the 4th Earl of Sandwich, is credited with inventing the sandwich. He liked to gamble and didn't want to stop to eat, so his cook put meat between two pieces of toast so he could hold it in one hand and keep playing. But people had been eating sandwiches for a long time before that. Greeks and Turks would serve them as appetizers, and they even made their way to America in 1815.
In New Orleans, po'boys were created during the Great Depression when a streetcar worker was struck. Two brothers who used to be streetcar workers started a sandwich shop and fed all the striking workers for free. The Reuben sandwich was named after one of the players in a weekly poker game at a hotel in Omaha, Nebraska.
Famous Sandwich Recipes
Sandwiches are a great way to make a quick, easy, and delicious meal. There are all sorts of different kinds of sandwiches, but some of the most famous ones are the Reuben, the Po' Boy, and the Philly Cheesesteak.
- Reuben is made with corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and Thousand Island dressing on rye bread. According to Omaha lore, the Reuben Sandwich was dreamed up at Omaha's Blackstone Hotel in 1925 by Reuben Kulakofsky, a local grocer, to feed a group of late-night poker players.
- Po' Boy is made with either roast beef or shrimp and is served on baguette-style bread.
- Philly Cheesesteak is made with steak, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and cheese sauce on a hoagie roll. The original cheesesteak was made in Philadelphia in the 1920s by an Italian-American called Tony Massimo, who was born in the city of brotherly love.
- BLT sandwich is made with bacon, lettuce, and tomato. It is a simple sandwich, but the flavors of the ingredients come together to create a delicious and satisfying meal.
- The Club sandwich is another classic sandwich made with turkey or chicken, bacon, lettuce, and tomato. Depending on your preferences, this sandwich can be dressed up or down, but the primary flavors are always a hit.
- A Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich is a classic for a reason. It is a simple sandwich that can be made with any bread and any peanut butter and jelly.
Posts To Visit
What Peppers Are In Sriracha Sauce?
Best Challah Bread Recipe: How To Braid
Unleavened Bread | 10 Creative Recipes
Sous Vide Burgers | Control The Doneness
Leave a Reply