How would you like to eat more fatty foods and still lose weight?
Well you can, it’s called the KETO diet...
Unlike many fad diets that come and go with very limited rates of long-term success, the ketogenic diet or keto diet has been practiced for more than nine decades (since the 1920s) and is based upon a solid understanding of physiology and nutrition science.
Making that switch will place your body in a state of “ketosis,” when your body becomes a fat burner rather than a sugar burner.
The steps are surprisingly simple:
- Cut down on carbs.
- Increase your consumption of healthy fats.
- Without glucose coursing through your body, it’s now forced to burn fat and produce ketones instead.
- Once the blood levels of ketones rise to a certain point, you officially enter into ketosis.
- This body state results fairly fast, fairly quick weight loss until your body reaches a healthy and stable weight.
- Shoot for less than 20g of Carbohydrates a day.
KETO Cheddar Burger w/Mushroom Onion Compote
- ½ pound of Ground Beef
- ⅓ pound of Italian Sauage
- 20 small to medium sized caps of Crimini Mushrooms or favorite mushrooms
- 1 Medium sized Onion julianne cut-slice lenghwise into strips(I like using Vidila Onions)
- ½ cup of Cheddar Cheese
- 1 can of Beef Broth/Stock
- 1 ½ tablespoon of Fresh Thyme
- 2 oz of Red Wine Cab
- High-Quality Butter the amount is up to you
- 1 ½ teaspoon of Garlic Salt
- Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Favorite Mustard
- Combine the beef, pork, 1 tablespoon mustard, cheese and 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme(If using dry thyme add ½ teaspoon and crush in your hands to release the natural oils). Try to mix well without over mixing.
- If using your hands to mix the ingredients together try to work quickly so the heat from your hands will not start to melt the fat. This will help you shape the burgers with more ease.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. I like using a little bit more salt than usual with burgers to help bring out the meat flavor.
- Shape the burgers and place them in the refrigerator to set up while you're making the mushroom onion compote.
- When the mushroom compote is ready, start cooking the burgers in a pan over medium-high heat in butter and olive oil (olive oil helps the butter not burn). Takes about 5 to 6 minutes.
Making the Mushroom Onion Compote
- Wash mushrooms first removing any dirt.
- You can cut the mushrooms how you like. I personally slice the mushrooms thinly, cutting in one direction only. Cross chopping, I think takes away from the mushroom presentation.
- Slice the onions lengthwise into strips. Not chopped
- Add butter to a medium-sized pan 2 tablespoon or less. The medium sized pan will help with the sauce reduction(more surface area). Add the mushrooms and onions with a pinch of salt and cook them down. About 10 minutes. Try to caramelize the onions
- Next, add the red wine and reduce down. Just make sure you cook off the alcohol.
- Add the beef stock next with the rest of the fresh thyme and 2 teaspoon of mustard and allow to reduce. Once close to sauce consistency mount the sauce with butter. As much as you like. Min of 1 tablespoon
- Cook in the oven at 400 degrees for 25 minutes with a small amount of butter and garlic salt. Cook in aluminum foil. This will steam the asparagus and keep all the health benefits as well.