Instant Pot Chicken Versus Oven Roasted Chicken Breast
Which is truly the best way to cook chicken?
Both chicken cooking methods have their advantages.
The Instant Pot is one-pot cooking and clean up while it and helps the chicken breast rest once the timer goes off. More on that below.
Oven-roasted chicken breast can be hard to get just right. Each oven is a little different. I’ll tell you the tricks to getting it right. More on that below.
About this Recipe
Oven-roasted chicken breast is a game of deciding how long to cook it. You have to look at each the size of the chicken every time and decide. Is this recipe going to work with this huge piece of chicken? INSTANT POT Chicken Breast, one key feature of using the Instant Pot for chicken is you do not have to increase the cooking time, but rather the pressure release times.
WATCH Our How-TO Video Below
- 1 Medium/Large Chicken Breast
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Good Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Garlic Salt
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ tsp Chipotle Powder ( do not use serving kids)
- Pimento Cheese (Recipe Here)
Tips To Perfectly Juicy Chicken
– Allow the chicken to be close to room temperature for cooking. Using chicken that is cold from the refrigerator usually ends up pink in the middle and often raw. Run cool water, not hot, over the chicken in a bowl with the packaging still on the chicken.
– When cooking a whole chicken. Place or point the chicken legs to the back of the oven. The chicken legs and thighs are done/cooked at a higher internal temperature. 170-180 / White meat 160-165
– If you want crispy skin you need to consider trussing the chicken. I have a post & video on the very best way to truss a chicken. Very easy and everyone needs to know this. Click Here
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1 – Combine Seasoning
Using a plastic bag add all dry ingredients, then add in olive oil, mix well.
Step 2 – Hasselback Chicken Prep
Using a paring knife, make cuts across the width of the chicken breast making sure to not cut all the way through. Make sure “Not” to make the cuts too close together as this will cause the chicken to dry out while cooking. Also helps the chicken not get cold once out of the oven or Instant Pot.
Step 3 – Stuffing Chicken Breast
Stuff away. Using the pressure cooker – Instant Pot you will lose a little bit of the stuffing from the pressure cooking process. You can stuff it with anything. Would suggest not stuffing with raw ingredients that take a long time to soften. IE carrots…
Step 4 – Oven Roasted Chicken Breast Cooking Instructions
Place Hasselback chicken breasts on a roasting rack. I suggest adding parchment paper to a cookie sheet for easy cleanup. We are using turmeric in our quick marinade, which stains. Turmeric offers beautiful color and flavor. You can just not add it if you like, no biggie. Just won’t get the same beautiful color.
Step 5 – Instant Pot Hasselback Chicken Breast Cooking Instructions
After a quick marinade of the seasonings places the chicken breast in the middle of the Instant Pot roasting rack. Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the Instant Pot, then place the chicken into the Instant Pot. Secure the lid making sure the sealing ring is in place.
Next set the vent to sealing
Set Instant Pot: -7 Minutes on High Pressure / “Normal Heat” Instant Pot will take about 7 to 8 minutes to pressurize. Then the timer will start counting down from 7 minutes. After the 7 minutes is up. Do a quick release from the sealing vent on top. I usually place a knife under it to move it away from the Instant Pot. Once the small metal pin next to the vent “drops” you can safely open the Instant Pot. I suggest waiting around 7 to 8 minutes to remove the lid once the timers has gone off. This is just like resting meats. It will be juicier.
Instant Pot Hasselback Chicken Breast
- Instant Pot
- 1 Chicken Breast
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Good Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Garlic Salt
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ tsp Chipotle Powder / Leave out if feeding children
- 1 cup Water
- 1 package Favorite Cheese / we used pimento cheese
- First, inspect chicken breast and remove any excess fat, plus preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Make slices through the chicken breast, but not all the way. Slice down 80% of the way. Cut across the chicken breast, not lengthwise.
- Mix dry seasonings into a plastic bag, then add the olive oil and mix well
- Add the chicken to the bag and cover it with seasoning. You do not need to allow the chicken to marinate. Only as long as it takes you to prep and get everything ready to go. ie setting up the Instant Pot
Oven Roasted Chicken Breast
- Place seasoned chicken breast in the middle of a roasting rack with parchment paper underneath. This is for easy cleanup and turmeric can stain.
- Roast chicken breast on the middle rack in your oven.
- Takes around 17 to 22 minutes. Timing will depend on the size of your chicken breast. Put the chicken out of the oven when the internal temperature reaches 160
- Allow resting once out of the Oven for at least 3 minutes before slicing.
Instant Pot Chicken Breast
- Place seasoned chicken breast on the Instant Pot rack for easy removal and helps with cooking and presentation.
- Add one cup of water to the bottom of the Instant Pot
- Set the Instant Pot on Pressure Cooker, on "Normal" heat and "High" pressure
- Make sure the plastic circle ring is placed on the Instant Pot lid securely. Place the lid in position and make sure the vent is set on sealing.
- Set Instant Pot timer for 7 minutes. Once the 7 minutes is up do a quick release, but do not remove the lid. Allow the chicken breast to continue cooking for 8 to 10 minutes. Will depend on the size of your chicken breasts.
Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe
- Add 1 Cup of long grain rice into a medium pot, add 2 cups of water, juice of 1 lime, and a pinch of salt. Cook until done, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Start on high heat, bring to boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook rice until the doneness you like
- Finishing the rice-Add the zest of 1 to 2 limes, personal choice, chop up some fresh cilantro, add some butter, and taste. Does it need salt? Add if needed.
- Add the rice first with a large spoon. Try using a dark-colored plate for a nice presentation against the beautiful orange chicken breast.You can add some fresh cilantro for parsley for a pop of colorEnjoy!
Masters Pimento Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese; shredded
- 1 Cup Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese; shredded
- ¾ cup of Cottage Cheese
- 8 oz package Cream Cheese
- 4 Tbsp Pimentos
- 2 tsp of Chipotles in Adobo Sauce chopped
- 1 ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 10 Chives sliced thin
- 4 Tbsp Mayonaise
- Start by hand grating the sharp cheddar & the Extra sharp cheddar cheese. The grating of the cheese is so important for the texture. Use a box grater and grate on the side with the large grooves.
- In another bowl, mix the cottage cheese, room temperature cream cheese, chives, chopped chipotles, black pepper, mayonnaise & sea salt.
- Then mix the grated cheese with the other ingredients. Combine, being careful to preserve the grate cheese texture.
- Once combine nicely add in the pimentos lastly. The reason to wait until the last step to add the pimentos is to protect their shape and texture.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerator 12 to 36 hours for flavor development.