Behold the Power of Cheese
Have you ever met someone that said: " I hate Cheese". I haven't either, but I'm sure they exist somewhere on earth.
Just seeing cheese usually goes along with wanting to eat cheese. Have you ever been in a grocery store in the cheese section looking at all the cheese saying to yourself, "Wow, I'd love to have all these cheeses"
Maybe in cheese heaven 🙂
So many cheeses to choose from when making Broccoli Cheese Soup.
The World of culinary arts is Live!
The key to a great Broccoli Cheese Soup is the Roux. A mixer of flour and fat like butter or vegetable oil. The balance between the flour and fat creates the perfect consistency for your soup. It acts as a thickening agent to get to the right viscosity.
Most times the roux will be equal parts flour to fat. First, start by melting butter or adding your oil then adding the flour little by little. You cook the roux till it starts to smell pleasant and has a nutty aroma. Next, add either chicken stock or vegetable stock. Adding the stock to roux creates one of the Classical French Mother Sauces called Veloute.
Here's a full article on French Sauce, Veloute
- ⅓ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 stick Butter or preferred oil 4 ounces
- 1 whole Onion Chopped
- 2 cups Chicken /or Vegetable Stock
- 2 cups half and half or whole Milk
- 4 Heads broccoli cut into 1-inch florets
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese or your favorite Cheese or Cheese s
- pinch Nutmeg freshly grated really makes a huge difference
- ½ tbps White Pepper Black works just as well but you'll see the black specs in your soup
- ¾ tbps Sea Salt
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- First, melt 1 stick of butter in a pot along with the Onions and cook for 3-4 minute ( sweating the Onions - no color or browning)
- Next, add in ⅓ cups of flour and cook for 1 minute or till it smells lightly toasted
Making the soup
- Then adding your 2 cups of half and half or whole milk, the soup will start to thicken
- Add the 2 cups of chicken/vegetable stock, half of your Broccoli, and the nutmeg, and cook till the broccoli is tender, test with a fork for doneness.
- Next, blend the soup with an immersion blender or use a standard blender until smooth.
- Add in the rest of the Broccoli and cook till done. ( Broccoli adds texture )
- Lastly, add the cheese and melt. Add as much as you think is best around 2 cups. The cheese will thicken the soup.
- Add salt and pepper.
Plan Ahead Weekend Dinner Plan - Cheesy Chicken Casserole